Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello new from the Carolina's 63 convertible SS Help decode Engine Casting 3788378

Help Decoding Engine Casting # 3788378

Hi All
Glad to be a new member, I find myself on this site regularly researching and learning from all.Decided to join......Just bought a 63 NovA SS Convertible. ACC Code 3, Has a 194 inline six, great running car,fun to drive. I believe the car came from IOWA. Cream Colored /Saddle Tan Interior, All Stock.

Trying to decode an engine casting number that insists that the engine is a 292. However the side plates are 4", the motor mounts are directly across from one another. The engine serial (HF) indicates 194/Power-glide. Searching the internet I have come across other Chevy II owners with this same casting number and nothing but 292 answers from the web? Possible Canadian casting or assembly?

Engine Casting: 3788378
CON3 K91
Engine Serial: FII28HF

Thanks for any help in this puzzle.

WNC Heavy

·
13,982 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the misleading casting code information. There never were 292 engines in 1963 Chevy IIs. The 1962 - 1964 Chevy IIs with engine suffix codes starting with 'H' were 194 CID/120 HP. In your case it's 'HF', which means 194 CID/120 HP six cylinder w/powerglide automatic transmission. There were tens of thousands of 'HF' Chevy IIs in these years. All the engines for U.S. built Chevy IIs and most for Canadian built cars came from Flint, Michigan. If your car is a Canadian model it will say so on the VIN plate.

Not sure about what you mean by ACC code 3. All 1963 Chevy II Nova Super Sports had a 'Z' or an 'X' on the ACC line to denote the SS option being added to a Nova 400 hardtop or convertible.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob thanks for the information. Good to know that most or all engines for this model came out of Flint. The Acc Code is a Z on this car.....which usually means Z=03 SS option , I think.

Thanks Again

·
13,982 Posts
Bob thanks for the information. Good to know that most or all engines for this model came out of Flint. The Acc Code is a Z on this car.....which usually means Z=03 SS option , I think.

Thanks Again
Yes, the SS was RPO Z03. Most plants used a 'Z' on the cowl tag to denote the SS, but for some reason Oakland, California, used an 'X'.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts