Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--

Hope you don't mind an interloper from Studebakerland showing up here with a question...As many of you will know, the final two years of Studebaker cars were Chevrolet-powered (with McKinnon-built 283 V8s and 194/230 sixes). My own car is a Stude six-engined '62, but a friend of mine is contemplating buying a '65, which would have had a McKinnon 194 six originally. A member of one of the Stude fora vectored me towards the Nova community with my query. The '65 needs an engine transplant, and it occurs that many Novas/Chevy IIs/Acadians undergo engine swaps, sixes out and V8s in (happens with Studes too of course!). Anyone happen to have, or know of, a running 194 or 230 Chevy six available reasonably, within yelling distance of Hamilton, Ontario?

Cheers

Steve Tournay

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Steve ,
Welcome. You should have no problem with your search.
If its an automatic even easier.
If its a manual you should look for an equivalent block or be prepared to purchase the parts to convert the block to accept a manual trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi!

No hurry at all; in fact the Studebaker in question, if still available, may eventually become mine after all, but not for a while. It would initially go into storage pending the engine swap.

Is your Acadian a six that's being repowered with a V8? (BTW I really like Acadians; that was another car I'd considered, but the affordability of Larks, plus the fact they were built in my hometown, tipped the scales in favour of Studebaker's compact entry...and I've had a ton of fun with my '62.)

Cheers

Steve Tournay (StudeSteve)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump!

The hunt continues for a 194 for the '65; I've heard that the 194 is rather scarcer these days than the later, larger sixes, but the upside would be no changes required to fit the 194 in the Stude, whereas the 230/250 (or the 283 eight) necessitate other alterations (cooling, trans, etc), and we're trying to get this Stude on the road on the cheap! Canadian Acadian, is your car in Guelph yet, and do you have a 194 you wish to unload? I'm in Hamilton, so just down Highway 6 from Guelph.

Incidentally, O/T, I take a lot of photos at cruises, and have lately been shooting all the Novas/Acadians/Chevy IIs I see with the intention of posting some of the pix on here as a sort of "thanks" for your forum's info about Chev sixes.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I don't think there is any differences between the 194 and the early 250's, so why not widen your search for the larger engine.

I have owned them all - 152? 4 cyl, 194, 230, and presently have a 250 in my 68.

Even in the inline engines, more cubes does make a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts