Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all from Australia

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum, I've been doing a bit of research for my recently purchased 1972 Nova 2 door and this forum always pops up with the Info so figured I better join.

Im a novice car guy but I love most cars pre 1980, I've got a love of American muscle cars and X Body Novas would have to be my favorite Chev. I'm going to make a few changes to the old girl, so I'll be asking a heap of question regarding upgrading suspension etc.

My baby was created in Van Nuys CA in 1972. She was imported into Australia about 2012, and then received a repaint in Honda kiwi metalic green, had a 9" diff conversion, and engine was replaced with a 406ci With AFR Alloy heads, headers, TH350 w/2800 stall, running Strange 3.7 diff on 255/60/15s.

The block (400SBC) is from Tonawanda plant in NY and was made in 72. Ive been told she puts out about 420HP at the rears but I havent had it on a Dyno yet.

Shes setup more as a straight line car with 75mm clearance to the collectors but I'm about to change suspension and wheel/tires to make it into a tuff street / cruiser with that close to factory height look, on American racing rims with some nice tall rubber (BFgoodrich T/A radials or similar)
Thinking 215/65/15 front and 255/60/15 rear and maybe 3.5 diff gear to drop cruising RPMs a couple of hundred.

I look forward to chating and sharing my future upgrade photos with ya all.

Cheers
Bunyip(y)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
WELCOME to SNS glad you joined in ……….. with your 72 2door .

from Northern Arizona , jim

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
welcome to steves nova site. from your description the nova sounds very nice. post a picture or two when you can. enjoy the cruise.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,493 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! You have a great looking Nova that has some pretty decent upgrades already.

Another option for lowering highway cruising RPM's is to install an overdrive transmission (with a lock-up torque convertor if you stay with an automatic trans)... and leave your current 3.7 differential gear. I have a 2004R overdrive trans behind my 400 sbc with 4.10 gears. The change to an overdrive trans was one of the best upgrades I made.

There are also a lot of aftermarket parts available to help improve the handling of your Nova.
Below is a link to the upgrades I made on my 74 Nova to significantly improve the handling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks RifRaf
I appreciate the advice, Ive considered the overdrive but it's cheaper to just cruise a bit slower for the moment.

I was going to take your approach with the suspension and do a little at a time. I only want to upgrade my front end as my rear end is already well setup and I dont really want to change it but I really like the look of the Ridetech street grip system.

Im aiming for a comfortable street car that handles ok more than protourer setup, so I'm going to stick with original arms ATM. Our country roads around here are pathetic with huge height variations and large potholes so the old girl has to be lifted and comfortable hence the changes.

Unfortunately I was born in the wrong country and it seems oz has a lack of components for the nova, so if ive got to import the parts from the US its gonna be a lot cheaper if I import a kit and pay shipping once rather than order bits and pieces.

I'll start a thread on suspension upgrades soon, I've just got to finish reading through the 23 Pages of old threads to see if my answers are there.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Welcome to the site.. Nice ride..!
Maybe a desert prerunner type suspension build would suit the road conditions you have to deal with..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the site.. Nice ride..!
Maybe a desert prerunner type suspension build would suit the road conditions you have to deal with..
Haha Cheers Nova Thug, your 100% right mate. I am constantly wondering where all my tax dollars are going, cause its not being spent on road maintenance.

I've got plans in the future for a 1978 Ford F100 road legal version of a prerunner for my son's first car. Hes only 7 Y/O but hes already hooked on them bad and is already saving his pocket money lol.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome to this site, and enjoy. I really like the way car is setup already, and the color is very cool. Looks great on that body. See ya' round mate!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to this site, and enjoy. I really like the way car is setup already, and the color is very cool. Looks great on that body. See ya' round mate!
Thanks Bobs 65
I like it the way it is too, but I've only got 75mm clearance under the front and keep bottoming out on my collectors, so I'm looking to raise it at least 30mm so I can stop stressing and enjoy driving her.
I figure if I'm going to raise it I might as well go for the oldchool big rubber look so been checking out the ride tech street grip system for its stance and appearance like this.
Cheers

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks Bobs 65
I like it the way it is too, but I've only got 75mm clearance under the front and keep bottoming out on my collectors, so I'm looking to raise it at least 30mm so I can stop stressing and enjoy driving her.
I figure if I'm going to raise it I might as well go for the oldchool big rubber look so been checking out the ride tech street grip system for its stance and appearance like this.
Cheers
View attachment 405776
That sounds like a wise decision. Driving these cars without worry is what it's all about. You have things thought out well!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts