Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it dangerous to use heim joints as tie rod ends? I assume that the problem is when the wear they can separate....A big washer under the bolt head would contain the body of the joint. Contemplating some home brewed steering mods and the tapered holes are a stumbling block. Hopefully I would replace heim joints before the separating point.

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
Is it dangerous to use heim joints as tie rod ends? I assume that the problem is when the wear they can separate....A big washer under the bolt head would contain the body of the joint. Contemplating some home brewed steering mods and the tapered holes are a stumbling block. Hopefully I would replace heim joints before the separating point.
It is not dangerous to use them if you good quality rod ends and have the safety washers on them. The safety washers are necessary iso that if the ball fails it will keep the end from falling off. You should remember that the life will be much less than a good tie rod end. They must be checked regularly for wear.
Tim

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I use them all the time in Off Road Race cars never broke one from normal abuse yet. You are going to have to drill out the conical ball joint holes in the spindles and drag link to approx 1/2" to fit the round heim joint bolts also. McKenzie's in Anaheim might be closer to you for the parts you need. Here's the link of what the parts look like. RICK
http://www.racereadyproducts.com/rod-ends-and-bearings/heim-joints-and-bearings/

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
I use them all the time in Off Road Race cars never broke one from normal abuse yet. You are going to have to drill out the conical ball joint holes in the spindles and drag link to approx 3/4" to fit the round heim joint bolts also. McKenzie's in Anaheim might be closer to you for the parts you need. Here's the link of what the parts look like. RICK
http://www.racereadyproducts.com/rod-ends-and-bearings/heim-joints-and-bearings/
Race Ready Products sells the FK brand of rod ends... CBR uses FK's top of the line units. :yes: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Yeah thats why I gave him the link. I think McKenzies sells the same ones as well as the Fox ones which are also top of the line might even be the same ones and Fox puts there name on them. It's going to be a little bit of fabbing to make it work correctly without a lot of bump steer. RICK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts