Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ole 66 seems to be sitting about an inch lower on the driver side empty than the passenger. Got any tips on remedies. or what to look for? :)
JR

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Add weight to the passenger side of the car to balance it out :D ;) :)

"Hey Honey do ya want to go for a ride":rolleyes:...lol

I'm sure this has been disscussed before and I think the fix is new springs...but I could be wrong:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
JR, you talking front or rear or both? They used to make various heighth spring spacers for roundy-round guys you see them on ebay from time to time, although I'd talk to an alignment/suspension shop first about it. These old style cups fit under the stock front coil. Or, you could do the real neat trick I bet you've seen a bunch, those lead slug spacers in the coil, that always impresses folks and rides real good

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NIGHTSHADE said:
Fill the trunk with chickens??:confused:
Well I might just try a spacer on the drivers side front. Them dern chickens in the trunk is OK idea but they will not stay on the pass side to even it out.:D

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
JR said:
Well I might just try a spacer on the drivers side front. Them dern chickens in the trunk is OK idea but they will not stay on the pass side to even it out.:D
Who said the chickens had to be alive? :eek:

I agree with 69NovaSS about the springs. IMHO, any "fix" other than replacing obviously worn springs is a bandaid fix. Eventually the failing spring will continue to deteriorate and require more work than just putting in a new set of springs would have been.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
pssssst Rex !!! then he'd have no reason ta haul the BBQ fixin's ;)

SURE Jerry !!! fill the trunk with food, i mean chickens and head on over... we'll "Fix" it for ya ;)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You've got me thinking JR. On good flat pavement or garage floor....could you jack up the car at the exact center (rear then front), get the tires JUST off the pavement and look at the opposite end of the car to observe the ride attittute? (to at least try and determine which end of the car has the weak side spring or frame tweak). I've never tried it, but I think it would work, and only take a few minutes if nothing else.

Other than that, a lot of work effort here, but...swap the rear spring from side to side to help determine if the rear SPRINGS are the problem.

Bottom line...I'm a cheap and inquisitve SOB and I'd hate to buy new springs only to find out that the OTHER end springs were the problem or I had some frame issue.

It's either that or.... muster the FAT chickens on the starboard side, and maintain the port side chickens at flight quarters at all times. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Maxturbo said:
You've got me thinking JR. On good flat pavement or garage floor....could you jack up the car at the exact center (rear then front), get the tires JUST off the pavement and look at the opposite end of the car to observe the ride attittute? (to at least try and determine which end of the car has the weak side spring or frame tweak). I've never tried it, but I think it would work, and only take a few minutes if nothing else.
I like this idea...it should help determine which end has the problem:)

Maxturbo said:
Other than that, a lot of work effort here, but...swap the rear spring from side to side to help determine if the rear SPRINGS are the problem.

Bottom line...I'm a cheap and inquisitve SOB and I'd hate to buy new springs only to find out that the OTHER end springs were the problem or I had some frame issue.

It's either that or.... muster the FAT chickens on the starboard side, and maintain the port side chickens at flight quarters at all times. ;)
Well I think for the amount of work this one would require I would just change the springs...they really are not that much money and to go to all the work to swap them from side to side "just to see" seems like just changing them out is the easy way to go...JMO here....Besides if these are the original springs and they have not ever been out likely the front eye bolt is seized in the rubber bushing and will require torching or cutting to get the spring out then the "old spring will need new front bushings...if you have to do all of that.....you might as well get new springs while your at it and only do the job once...like I said JMO here...:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
As I stated...I couldn't agree more that swapping rear springs would be a real PITA. The only saving grace is that you would accomplish...

1. A good inspection of the existing springs, bushings, and hardware.

2. Will have already completed the most m/hr intensive portion of a spring REPLACEMENT (damn rusted, then broken, go find, crap...cracked the brake line, might as well get brake flex hose too...) stuff! :mad:

3. Saved countless dollars in rear spings cost only IF you find out that the old rear's were not the problem.

Hey, I'm an optimist. :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
well I just looked through a couple of catalogues that were beside me and ya it looks like the early gen springs are quite a bit more money then the 3rd gen stuff (250(early stuff) VS 150 (3rd gen))....so possibly the swap from one side to the other might be the way to go to help narrow down the cause of the lean....:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
OR maybe just a waste of time. :(

The labor is "cheep" though! :rolleyes:

JR, have you had the springs out recently?

Get em' back in the way they came out?

Have the ride height issue before?

Did you get the bumper on straight? (if that is where you are observing the "lean").

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have got all the rear bushings and bolts to install on the rear. The springs came out of a 67 station wagon rear. I moved the whole assy. years ago. Don't remember why??
I am measuring the front at the fender opening center. I will go measure the rear and see what I come up with and while there I will do some penetrating oil spraying.
:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Cool! ;)

Measure at the bottom of the bumpers and / or a frame area.

Who knows! Maybe you've got an "odd" front fender or fender placement (compared to the other one).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts