Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i had previously posted inquiring about a mini-tub job for my 66ht. I was wondering if anyone has used the heidts rear 4 link set up (bolt in or weld in) and how easy/hard was the installation?
-also, what size tire were you able to no put under the rear end without having it actually mini-tubbed?

After driving it with the new rear set up, is it much better with the heidts rear set up? And would you do it again, or what other route would you do (i.e.mini-tub).

As always, i appreciate the feed back
chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
Chris,

I have installed (weld-in) the Heidts 4Link on my 66 Hardtop, together with frame connectors (also weld-in) and a narrowed F*** 9inch including disk brakes. The car is minitubbed to the framerails.
Material and instructions from Heidts are very high quality and the whole work story took about 2 weekends (not including the minitubs - did them last year already). There was also a very good install article on popularhotrodding.com.
I am running a Mickey Thompson 26x12x15 Street Radial tire on 9.5" widened original steel wheels (you get the backspace right either with a wheelrite tool or lots of measuring :devil: ) and they fit great. I have about 2/3" space on both sides of the tires, and locating the axle is easy via the panhard bar. Side-by-side travel is not big at all, and I have no rubbing when cornering hard, even with three guys in the car. The quarter lips are shaved (were rusty anyway).
You will have to scratch your head a little for managing the e-brake cable routing. i was able to connect it to the original cable up front and used a lokar set for the F*** disk brakes at the axle. Have drilled a big hole in one of the frame connectors to guide through the cable - voilà!

BTW, I chose the Heidts 4Link because I could fit an exhaust over the axle quite easily (BIG thanks for Chuck Church sen. who is on this forum and sent me the pictures on how he did it!!!).

Here are some first pics:

Regards from overseas,

Boris

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
Check out my website and go to the gallery there are some photos of the system before it was installed. PM chuck63 he has the photos of it in the car while up on the rack for a better view.

.............Looks real good Boris:yes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pm has been sent to chuck63. thank you guys for the info and boris, it does look nice. anyone else with their .02 is appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts