Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I just installed Heidt’s mustang 2 coil over conversion and now I have a horrible noise while trying to turn the wheel, almost like a rubbing or clicking noise. The install include new lower control arms and 2 piece shock and spring. I also replaced the tie rods just in case that was the issue. Any help would be appreciated

can we post videos on here?

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
1,231 Posts
Need more info...you had the old heidts shock/spring set up before and went to coilovers? Any pics of new setup? Is spring seated properly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, had the Heidt’s front spring and shock, decided to switch to the coil over set-up. Spring seams to be seated properly. Also sounds like the it’s the same sound on both sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
1,231 Posts
Does it make noise when turning wheel sitting still

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Have you been under the car with someone else turning the steering wheel..? This is what I would do in order to pin point the source of the sound.

In this picture the upper control arm looks very close to the spring pocket. Could this be making contact and creating the sounds you are hearing..? Also the spring looks to be curving in towards the frame..
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire

·
Registered
1963 Nova SS and 1965 Nova
501 Posts
Have you been under the car with someone else turning the steering wheel..? This is what I would do in order to pin point the source of the sound.

In this picture the upper control arm looks very close to the spring pocket. Could this be making contact and creating the sounds you are hearing..? Also the spring looks to be curving in towards the frame..
View attachment 440894
Good eye Nova Thug. I think you nailed it. That spring looks to be rubbing against the frame. Maybe it's not correct for the application?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would slowly disassemble one side down to the frame, inspecting each and every piece for a wear mark. There has to be something apparent.
One last thought. Are the shocks new, and rated for the 500#? Is there a large flat washer at the bottom of the spring, on top of the spring adjusting locknut? Mine is not the same brand parts so I cant compare, but it looks like something is missing. Im just guessing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No flat washer at the bottom and a rubber grommet on top of the spring. They are new and rated at 500#. The coil over shock has the adjustable ring on it to draw it up and down

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
That spring should not have a curve in it. The barrel of the spring is curved away from the shock. They should both be straight with each other. Something definitely not correct. How does the upper spring pocket look, any marks?

Bob's 65 - I believe that is a thrust washer, two washers with roller bearings in the middle.

T,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just found your post. I have what sounds like the exact the same issue with my 66ChevII. Exact same set-up w/Viking Coil Overs. Were you able to solve this issue? Please advise. Appreciate it............. Alan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts