Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing a Heidts frontend. I like the idea of being able to get some of the part in an emergeny locally (mustang II parts). but I have never rode in a chevy II (64') that had anything but a good rebuilt frontend and wonder how much better it will be. Also if I go with the Heidts frontend. Do I go with the deluxe package with QA1 or the air ride. What are your thoughts?
PS
I live in Tyler, Texas and would greatly apprecate a chance to see and perhaps ride in a chevy II that had a different frontend installed.
Thanks guys,
Bruce

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Texas is BIG ;)

i dunno where he's at in relation to ya, but Tony (65prostreet) has a Heidt's clip on his '65... maybe you guys are close enough... i dunno...

best luck to ya ;)

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
hey I AM TONY!!!
and i have a heidts clip
I love the fact that i can buy parts locally to fix any problems...i actually used a lot of stock mustangII/pinto parts on my front end, which really makes it easy to fix!!! and cheaper too...My buddy in corsicana,has a tci clip on his 64....i live in fortworth, but i am from corsicana, and you can find me roaming the streets down there every couple of months....if you want to come to ft worth soon, i will gladly take you for a ride.....I know i will probably be in corsicana on june 9th for a cruise in (its a friday night)...tell me if your interested....I'll do what i can to help you out....

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
IMO too many people get caught up in the "get the parts locally" syndrome...I think you are referring to the fact that Chassisworks custom engineers and builds many of the parts for their front end. They use Chrysler ball joints, Wilwood brake pieces, etc. and those parts are easily acquired at most parts or speed shops over the counter including wheel bearings etc. How often do you replace A-arms, steering racks, spindles, clip frame, unless it's been in a front end collision?

If for some reason you do need something that they custom made, they can ship overnight mail, the same as any other vendor. When I was evaluating what front clip kit to buy, that argument was a non-issue...If I'm wrong, help me understand.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
MPriest said:
I am thinking about installing a Heidts frontend. I like the idea of being able to get some of the part in an emergeny locally (mustang II parts). but I have never rode in a chevy II (64') that had anything but a good rebuilt frontend and wonder how much better it will be. Also if I go with the Heidts frontend. Do I go with the deluxe package with QA1 or the air ride. What are your thoughts?..............
Thanks guys,
Bruce
Bruce, welcome to the site. Here is what I think after having gone through all that hand-wringing trying to decide what package to buy. I finally chose a TCI coil-spring front and after mocking-up the suspension, I was not happy with the ride height - too tall. I seriously looked into swaping out the coil springs for coil-overs. However that does not really change the ride height, so I am in the process of purchasing Air Ride Shockwaves all around. I guess it all depends on your taste and how much you want to spend. I prefer a radically lowered stance, you may not. In the meantime, any/all of the suspension packages available are good and will fit a certain need. My suggestion is consider all possibilities, make your decision and save your money and buy the package you really want the first time.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Seattle_Mike said:
IMO too many people get caught up in the "get the parts locally" syndrome...I think you are referring to the fact that Chassisworks custom engineers and builds many of the parts for their front end. They use Chrysler ball joints, Wilwood brake pieces, etc. and those parts are easily acquired at most parts or speed shops over the counter including wheel bearings etc. How often do you replace A-arms, steering racks, spindles, clip frame, unless it's been in a front end collision?

If for some reason you do need something that they custom made, they can ship overnight mail, the same as any other vendor. When I was evaluating what front clip kit to buy, that argument was a non-issue...If I'm wrong, help me understand.
i understand what you are saying too...i guess what i mean by keeping a lot of my parts as easily available, i am talking when i am out on the road...you cant very well have them ship stuff to where you dont' know where you might be...i didnt use a lot of the stock stuff because of the locally available thing, i did it based on my budget...i'll never have a car as nice as some of you guys on here...i built mine with budget/reliability in mined...you wont have to replace 95% of the stuff on the front end after its built for a long time, you are right...it wasnt a deciding factor for my vendor choice...

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
My 2 cents. I chose Heidts. We did a site group buy and got a good price on 3. Ended up ordering them 2 years ago through Yogi's Performance for around $1900. I originally had the standard height spindles and ordered the 2 in. drops. The car is not running yet. The kit was very easy to install and factory parts (radiator support and fenders) lined up well. No problems so far. I think each company has perfected their own 1st gen frontends. I would look for a possible group buy and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
1965proSTREET said:
...i guess what i mean by keeping a lot of my parts as easily available, i am talking when i am out on the road...you cant very well have them ship stuff to where you dont' know where you might be.
I hear the replacement parts question alot here, & i'd like to throw out
some ideas a person should consider..( granted, they may be jaded, but based
on my own real world experience)..

many parts for a Chevy II such as drums, suspesion,steering...are not in stock
at most auto parts stores or dealerships....they have to be ordered.

Many parts for alot of cars...Corvette, Imports, old cars, are not on the shelf
of an auto parts store or the dealer....I had a 94 Jag xj12...the Sacramento Jaguar dealer had to order every freakin' part i needed for that thing.

I cant even go to a junk yard & find Mustang II parts around here.

thousands & thousands of street rodders drive their old cars with custom suspensions across the country...they use custom " pretty " parts,( also remember on most 34 & older cars you cant use M-II parts, you have to use custom stuff).

Repairability & reliability....i think parts like a tube control arm & billet steering
rack is easier to repair or weld than a thin stamped arm or cast iron steering box. Also the parts we make are bigger & stronger than what would be the M-II counterparts. Remember, very few M-II's came with big block engines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts