Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I finally got around to doing the install on the 63 nova with the heidts front subframe I’ve had for years. Problem is, I think it’s too narrow!!! It won’t bolt up to the car. It’s about 3/8” too narrow at the firewall and core support. Even the top support tubes are off by 3/8” to the frame rails when the support tubes are bolted to the firewall. Did you guys ever have an issue? Does anyone know if they made a bad batch or something? Thanks in advance!

Brian

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Bumper Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Gas Asphalt Road surface Tints and shades

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive wheel system Gas
Automotive tire Bumper Engineering Asphalt Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Take the subframe to a frame shop along with your gage and have them tweak the rails to line the holes up. 3/8" isn't much. They can align everything and it shouldn't cost a fortune.

I had the exact same Heidts clip on my '64 and it lined-up perfectly. No adjustment required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take the subframe to a frame shop along with your gage and have them tweak the rails to line the holes up. 3/8" isn't much. They can align everything and it shouldn't cost a fortune.

I had the exact same Heidts clip on my '64 and it lined-up perfectly. No adjustment required.
Yeah that’s why I’m assuming they made a bad batch or it wasn’t jigged properly somehow. I’d rather not start tweaking stuff. More afraid that if I do that, something else might not be lined up correctly. I’ll have heidts send me some dimensions from hole to hole and if it’s not right, hopefully they’ll send out a new subframe to replace it and take this one back with a prepaid packing slip.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
That doesn’t seem right at all.. It’s too narrow at both ends.. I have seen the subframe jigs at TCI and there’s no way the whole subframe could be off like that.. Does anything look unusual where the crossmember ties the frame rails together..? It’s like that piece was made too narrow. If it were too narrow somehow I can’t see it fitting in the jig properly. These pieces are typically precut by a laser or a water jet and controlled by a CAD program. It doesn’t seem to be tweaked from heat.. It’s just wrong but how wrong is it really..? We know it doesn’t fit the car at the firewall and the core support is also wrong.. Do the lower control arm pivots have the correct spread..? Are the engine mounts correct..?

This thing is way off even if it’s just the rails..

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a CBR front clip that is currently out of car but I did mock it up to car when first got it
it fit perfect, clip to car and rad support to clip
I just measured and frame holes as you show are 26 1/4" center to center
rad support holes 31 1/8"
I can easily measure other parts if you'd like

3/8" is absolutely huge to "tweak" a structural welded piece like that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That doesn’t seem right at all.. It’s too narrow at both ends.. I have seen the subframe jigs at TCI and there’s no way the whole subframe could be off like that.. Does anything look unusual where the crossmember ties the frame rails together..? It’s like that piece was made too narrow. If it were too narrow somehow I can’t see it fitting in the jig properly. These pieces are typically precut by a laser or a water jet and controlled by a CAD program. It doesn’t seem to be tweaked from heat.. It’s just wrong but how wrong is it really..? We know it doesn’t fit the car at the firewall and the core support is also wrong.. Do the lower control arm pivots have the correct spread..? Are the engine mounts correct..?

This thing is way off even if it’s just the rails..
Nope. This thing looks great! I was so baffled when it wouldn’t line up. I thought it had to have been laser cut also but idk. I just don’t know why it could even possibly be wrong. Put these same ones on other 1st gens with some buddies and had no problems.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
If Heidts won't fix it for you I would tweak the rails 3/8" either by taking the clip to a frame shop (who could do it very easily and precisely) or use a freaking bottle jack.

3/8" ain't much (3/16 per rail). Frame shops straighten rails bent a whole lot more than that every day.

I would do that before I would resort to ovalizing the mounting holes.

My Heidts clip lined right up perfectly on my '64 though. No tweaking required:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 26 Posts