Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the heidt's steering column kit to work with the heidt's steering shaft kit for my TCI clip. I am hooking the steering together and think there is a problem. There is only a 1/2 inch of the column shaft exposed at the bottom of the column. Is that enough for the u-joint which is about 1 inch deep. It seems that there should be more of the shaft exposed for the u-joint to connect to. It isn't like there is a bunch of slack sticking through the steering wheel either. Is the column kit too short do you think or is 1/2 enough? Please help.... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I do not have measurements but I am also using the heidts splined shaft kit for the nova colomn. I had plenty of shaft sticking out... more than 1/2".
Tg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the kit where you use the stock column and replace the shaft. There was no cutting required for the column shaft. I will call Ibuldm in the morning an see if heidt's sent me the wrong size even though the box says the right year.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
kceb10 said:
what hold the shaft in place from moving up and down once installed in the column

i'm thinkin' the small spring under steering wheel puts a little pressure going one way held tight with steering wheel nut... and the steering shaft u joints etc all bolted together up to the steering gear holds the other... it's captured, so ta speak...

i think i got this right ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts