Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heidts 4 Link in a '62 wagon problem >>UPDATE<<

just wondering if anyone else has had a fitment issue. 1962 wagon, and Heidts 4 link kit. upper crossmember is not even close on mine. crossmember is almost an inch too narrow at the front mounting location, and 1/4" at the rear.

just wondering if I got a goofy one, or if the coupe and wagon are that much different

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
call Heidt's or PM member "Ibuildm" Tim (he's a Heidt's distributor/dealer) and get the build dimensions of the crossmember... compare to what you were shipped...

also, our cars other than a convertible have the same rear frame rails (frame structure)... '62-'67 Coupe, Sedan & Wagon...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've talked with Heidts a couple times. According to them, the frame rails are different from the coupe to the wagon.

I'm no chassis expert or nova expert, so I don't know.

maybe I got a 'vert crossmember? :confused:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the frame rails might be a tad longer, but as far as i know the chassis are the same, except the Vert which has extra structure due to no roof...

the rear spring perches are different on a wagon...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've talked with Heidts a couple times. According to them, the frame rails are different from the coupe to the wagon.

I'm no chassis expert or nova expert, so I don't know.

maybe I got a 'vert crossmember? :confused:

not true i took my heidts 4-link out of a 64 coupe and put it in a 63 wagon with no issues

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well, then this is pretty strange.

these are the same pics that I sent Heidts.

I have done a DSE mini tub, so never mind the outside of the rails. I need to modify that part of the u-channel anyway

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well, it's not a factory frame rail... which is what Heidt's has designed the kit to fit, Right?

figuring you're qualified to do the tub job, what's the big deal to modify the 4 link sub frame? i think you should just go about building it/installing it and don't worry about it. unless the Heidt's kit is off manufacturing spec, how do you know it's them that's off and not the car? obviously the frame rails aren't stock... maybe that's where the discrepancy is... in the frame rails...

after seeing pics of the car, unless Heidt's kit is made wrong, i see nothing to concern Heidt's about...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the factory rails are in the stock location. I made no change to the location or the inner structure of the frame rail, so that the Heidts kit would go right in.

Only the outside of the frame rail was modified, so their crossmember should fit the inside of the rails

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
a non-professional "photoshop" kinda showing what would be needed...

you already need to modify the outside of the channel to contour to the frame rail. if the tube is cut from the channel and another tube is slid over supplied tube the width can be adjusted to fit, then welded together... i see it's more work, but with the chassis mods you're already doing, how much extra work is required? this is a universal kit, meaning it's made for the car but mods/fabrication is required for installation anyways. right?

not even trying to downplay your concerns... just trying to help with a resolution. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
that's exactly what I had been thinking. Thanks for making my idea feel better. :) my main concern with doing that though is, I will have to cut both end of the center tube, to make sure that the coilover mounts are even to each side, then make sure the tube gets squared to the rearend so that the coilovers and swaybar line up correctly to the rearend.

I was just thinking this kit would fit a little closer. I can do the mods, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to. and actually it's labeled as a bolt-in kit. I've been playing a little phone tag with the guy at Heidts, so I would expect to talk with him tomorrow.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
why not weld a tab on the tube and plumb bob it? mark your floor with location, remove assembly, cut, modify and then re-install. you can then re-bob it matching it up to the marks on the floor and weld it in? the tabs can then be removed... you can do one tab or ten, where ever you'd like which will give you your measurement...

again, not trying to dismiss your issues. i just don't see it as a big deal considering the fabrications you've already done. not "everyone" can do the work you've already done... it shows you HAVE skills and that you're capable of the mods needed.

i know it is extra work and i think you have a right to bitch about it... but unfortunately, it is what it is... right?

[edit] yeah, it's a bolt-in kit for a NON modified frame rail... i think you've given Heidt's (or anyone) an out by having modified rails... they'll say the issue is on you, not their kit... (as i see it)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
it is what it is... a common saying in my line of work. :yes:

like I said, I can do the mods. I just preferred that I didnt have to. and I do understand how Heidts could say, "good luck". I've worked for corporate america long enough, I understand how that works.

Heidts has been working with me, and like I said earlier, I am expecting to receive a call tomorrow. I was just curious if anyone else had the same fitment issue(to the inside of the rails ;) ) . Personally, i think the inner tube was cut 1/2" short, that simple.

thanks for the ideas though. :yes:

>>edit<< I guess I don't know if I "have" the skills to do the mod, but I do have a pair of dice that I am willing to roll every now and then.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
glad to have attempted helping :doh: ;)

let us know what happens... also what's up with this? :mad: ;) all the work you've seemed to have done... where's the build thread? :mad: ;) :D

keep us posted with updates, pics etc. we're always interested in member's builds. :thumbsup: especially with Lots of Pics ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wondering - if it's off 1/2 why not weld on some 1/4 plate on the inside of the frame rails on each side- keeps it all even - could even drill a few holes and plug weld -

WARNING - I've often been accused if pulling pins on grenades and walking out of the room ...:smile: just trying to think of something simple...
:D yes, that would be an easy fix if it was even all the way, but it's hard to make up the 7/8" at the front when the rear is 3/16" off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just wondering - if it's off 1/2 why not weld on some 1/4 plate on the inside of the frame rails on each side- keeps it all even - could even drill a few holes and plug weld -

WARNING - I've often been accused if pulling pins on grenades and walking out of the room ...:smile: just trying to think of something simple...
well, after a month off of working on the wagon. I did end up welding a 1/4" plate to each frame rail, and "made" it fit.

also had to modify the panhard bar mount on the outside of the frame rail as well. but that part I knew about.

and no, I am not the best welder in the world, but I got a flapper wheel to fix that. :yes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts