Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a HEI for my 65 6 cyl. wagon and installed it this afternoon. It won't fire the engine. Luckily, I have HEI(working) in my 63 wagon. I exchanged the firing module and the 65 works in the 63, not in the 65. I exchanged the cap assembly and rotor from the 63 to the 65. The 63 runs but the 65 doesn't. I rechecked the orientation of the cap in the 65 and it,s good. Put a plug on one of the 65 spark plug wires and turned the engine over. No spark. Recheched the 12v supply wire and it has 12 volts when ignition is on and when cranking. Basically I have all the HEI parts from the running 63 wagon on the 65 except for the dist. itself. The 63 works with the parts removed from the 65. What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Sounds like the pickup coil is gone.

Try to re & re the whole dist. and I bet it will fire right up, I'm sure that's what it is.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

·
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the distributer cap off and upon close inspection found the wire going to the coil was broke off. I pulled the dist. Disassembled the rotor soldered and shrink tubing was shrunk on the connection. Reassembled everything and installed the dist. It now runs, the timing is set and I'm ready to go for a spin in the car. Thanks Taz. Guess I'll be driving the 65 to work tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
As the motto goes NPHNP:D

I had the same thing happen to me years ago after washing my engine, when I pulled the bag off one wire broke, but it was a couple days of scratching my head too. I've never forgotten about it though!:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts