Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i run a hot wire straight from the distributor to the battery to run the hei?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
can i run a hot wire straight from the distributor to the battery to run the hei?
Yes but the wire will have to be pulled to kill the engine. Are you doing this as a temp thing just to start the engine? I did this once in an old Blazer just to start the engine. I ran a wire to the HEI and shorted across the starter to crank the engine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would just be temporary.how exactly and where exactly would i run the wire to on the fuse block?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Just to start and test, straight from the battery is fine.

For perment, it is best to find the two wires going to the positive side of the coil. You need both of them. One of the wires is a resistor wire and you will to cut the resistance part out.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Make sure when you go to the fuse box for your 12 volts that you go to the fused side of the fuse or else there is no reason to go to the fuse box.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
One thing I have found when using a switched 12v from the fuse box is that when cranking there is no voltage. Sometimes it can cause the car not to start right away. Find the big pink wire off the ign switch, with a test light check it with key on and cranking should have 12v and key off 0 v. Run a 10-12 gage wire from the pink wire to the HEI "Batt" terminal.
I was always told that the 12v wire to the stock points coil is too small, won't carry enough amperage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts