Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can shed some light on the science of the HEI for me. I know they have an internal coil, yet I see some wiring diagrams which include a coil ?!?!? Also some are saying to run the BATT wire through the ignition, some say solenoid, some say blah blah blah. I see a lot of hand drawn or poor powerpoint pictures related to the subject and all are different. What I've got now is a connector with a yellow wire and a black wire (black to junction block and yellow to the run post of the solenoid) I intend to replace the dinky little 18 gauge wire with a 12 and keep it where it is. I'm just wondering if this is correct before I try to start the engine and get frustrated when I don't get fire and go through a painful troubleshoot if it's not necessary. Any input or general knowledge about HEIs would be helpful. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I believe the second gen of hei has the coil outside of the distributer. i swapped from points to 1st gen hei. i'll hafta go look but i connected two wires together and they plug into the bat side of the cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts