Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at converting over to an HEI distribuor on my 194, and would like to know what I can get a complete unit out of for my car, or if I have to buy a new one. Also, is there anyhting that I need to change other than the dist?
Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Do a search on this site and you will probably turn up several posts on this subject.

The 194/230/250 all use the same distributor, so any older junk yard should have a truck or van with a HEI for you car.

I have noticed is that most HEI's have the coil in the distributor cap. There are a few that have the coil seperate from the HEI if you need extra room. Both will work.

I have made this upgrade several times and it is worthwhile.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everybody. One question though. Do I need a smaller capped dist or one of the units with the larger cap? Also what year should I be looking for at a salvage yard. I have the ignitor kit in the stock distributor now, but the timing jumps are driving me crazy, and I've heard HEI's are better anyways, so I will try it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I used the larger cap distributor but I think I am switching to the smaller one there isn't much room with the big cap but it will work

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I don't belive they made a small cap HEI stock. I think all the small caps you'll find are converions like the pertronix kit.....

75 and up chevy, you should be able to find one in the yard.... I just priced out rebuilt one here locally $125+ core, new $180

you also need to change your coil - think it is .5 ohms stock , 2 ohms for HEI.... or the other way around , can't remember, but you've got to change it.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts