Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday my wife and I were cruising up the expressway about 65 or 70. I glanced over to her and said, "I'm so glad this thing (my Phoenix) runs so nice." Then it just shut down so I quickly pulled it off onto the shoulder! :( Well, got it fired up again & was able to get the 25 miles back home--not running so nice anymore.... Got a new MSD distributor cap & rotor but when I took it apart tonight saw the real problem was the coil. The white wire & the red wires had the insulation melted off & there was also a charred area, Really fortunate to have gotten it home. So I got a coil. But the instructions say you need a secondary ground or the coil will eventually self destruct. Mine had no secondary ground so I guess that's why it self-destructed. I used the same cap & coil that were on the 305 when I bought the car. I guess I need to buy the secondary ground wire seperately?? Does anyone know about the seconday ground on an HEI coil?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Philip--The part is listed at the store as a "ground strap". The instructions with the coil say it goes right in the center like the one in your picture. I guess it doesn't come with the coil because it is normally re-used when a coil or cap is changed. In my case there wasn't one at all.Thanks for the picture. That helps!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the ground in along with the coil and cap & rotor. Seems just fine...except for one of the mufflers!:( When it shut off on me last week it backfired on the driver's side. When I fired it up today something didn't sound right. I looked underneath and the one muffler is blown out :mad: I got the mufflers from JEGS with a header to tailpipe kit. Not sure I can get the same muffler or not. The mufflers were pretty loud but satisfactory.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what happened to the muffler when the coil shorted out and it backfired last week!

[/IMG]

New muffler installed and runs better than ever with new cap & rotor. :)

For what it's worth, I found out the JEGS exhaust kit on my car is made by IMCO Exhaust in MN. --Made in USA. Wouldn't surprise me if the Summit house brand exhaust brand is made by them too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The summit brand is IMCO, I have two sets.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts