Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
So I have a first gen with a 250 out of a 72 and today I’m starting the process of replacing the stock intake a carb with a offenhauser 4barrel intake and a holley 390. I’m leaving the stock exhaust manifold for now but will soon be getting headers. And I plan on driving the car a good amount between now and then.
My question is about the manifold heating element in the exhaust manifold, the spring is completely loose so it is not going to open and close. What should I do? Should I tighten the spring, how much? Idk, any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just looked at it again and the spring is actually broken off of the spindle so I could figure out how to reattach but is there an easier way
Here are so pics

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had a thought
So I live in CA on the coast so it never gets very cold and I know some people who upgrade to headers and offy intake don’t heat the intake so can I just leave it in the closed position ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Yes, But The best answer is what ever way it works best for you.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,022 Posts
Heated carbs are only needed in higher altitudes. Manufacturers have to build for all environments. Anytime you install headers you eliminate the carb heat which should tell you how well it can work. This provides a cooler charge to the carb and a massive .000001 HP increase. :p

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I know we have had this discussion before, and yes, I do understand the effect of altitude on carburetor icing. I also get that the colder charge you have the more oxygen is in the fuel/air mixture.
That said, carburetor icing can occur, at least at lower rpm, in ambient temperatures as low as 55 degrees regardless of altitude, and can be a significant issue in more humid places where temperatures are low. I lived right at Pismo Beach for years, and both humidity and sub-50 degree days (definitely mornings) could make for those conditions. Might not ice up with your particular set-up, and that's great! It might depending on conditions, and it's something to watch out for. I've seen it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts