Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if anyone has a solution to sticky, dry or rusted heater cables, or for that matter, parking brake cables. They aren't on the lube list and they often get sticky or frozen. I saw online one person soaking them in muriatic acid (not a user-friendly material) which might work for rust, but can you get it all out of the cable housing and then, how do you lube them? Trying to save what I have, not buy new.

·
6,520 Posts
Have you ever used muriatic acid ?. I have for taking of rust but when I do it now (and it's been a few years since the last time I did anything with that acid) is you want to make it really weak to where it will take a while to take rust off but it's easier to monitor the progression of the rust removal using a weak solution. I do know years ago I mixed up a batch and it was super strong and it looked like an alka-seltzer bath with bubbles foaming up and while it did take the rust off it also did more damage to the metal.

While I have never checked into this, it seems to me that from the motorcycle industry there was a lube setup that clamped around the cable end and with pressure forced lube or whatever through the inside of the sheathing and out the other end.

A quick google search turned this up:

Jim

·
Registered
723 Posts
I was just going to say what custom Jim said, I've rode dirtbikes all my life and we lube our cables with a cable luber and cable lube. That is for cables that are covered in a nylon or whatever sleeve though, but off road cable lube would probably be a good product to use. That's what its made for and the off road stuff is made to be non tacky so dirt and dust doesn't stick to it.

I use motorex 622 off road lube and the motion pro cable luber tool

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Genius responses. Thanks, Schwabie, you should save those for some of the better, nicer cars here on site. I'm trying more and more to save the parts I have and repair them rather than discard or go with some reproduction part. Had absolutely no idea that there was a pressure luber, and I'm a-get me one a them. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
831 Posts
I just sprayed mine with PB Blaster. Held a rag up behind the cable and did little sections at a time. Mine are all what I assume to be original and all now work. Especially the parking brake.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,756 Posts
" Had absolutely no idea that there was a pressure luber, and I'm a-get me one a them. Thanks! "
I also went over & looked at the "cable luber" . . . . cheap enough , and smart idea , I'm in .

·
Registered
641 Posts
used WD-40 liberally, let it set for awhile, then unhooked from the little tiny lock washer at the attachment point which allowed freer cable movement. done deal. well, then added a few drops of regular oil, then done deal. and they were bad, totally stuck.

good luck!

-Rusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts