Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heater isn't putting out much heat. I replaced the original 2 core radiator with a 3 core this past summer, and I even have a flexible plastic block off with a hole cut out of it, and it barely gets warm. Yesterday I changed from a 160 degree T-Stat to a 180. If this doesn't help, does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?
Thanks

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Make sure the heater core itself isn't clogged up inside and also on the outside(inside the heater box though)with leaves and such.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Make sure the heater core itself isn't clogged up inside and also on the outside(inside the heater box though)with leaves and such.
:yes:

Agreed. As long as the engine itself is actually getting up to temp, then the only reason why the heater wouldn't give hot air is if something is blocking the core or the lines inside the core.

·
Registered
101 Posts
heater

If engine is heating up properly I would also check control cables for correct operation.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if leaves were ever present inside the cowl area and blew down inside the side vent area it's very possible as debris was broken up etc, some or a lot of debris could have possibly blown into the heater box clogging up the finned area of the core limiting the qty of air/heat the unit provides by the fan...

turn fan switch in all positions and feel qty of air/heat... pull the heater hoses from the engine. install your garden hose nozzle securely in the 3/4" hose and turn on the water... not full pressure, don't blow things up... just flush the heater core. check the water as it exits for signs of debris INSIDE the water system/heater core... it could be the airways or water system that are clogged

if you've never rebuilt the heater box since owning the car... i'd pull it, reseal it, inspect/replace the core and go from there. you can rebuild a heater box for $60-$70 bucks or less...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flyer. I replaced the heater core bout 3 years ago, but while it was all apart, I R&R'd the box assembly. Car has been under a carport, until now, but I will check and flush the core out as suggested. Thanks for the info. By the way, I'm selling my Nova now, if anyone is interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts