Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH!!! I've taken the heater box out and installed it probably 4 or five times. Three of which I had to remove the glovebox.

Anyway. Now that the motor works.. The whole thing makes a loud vibration noise. I've decided its too obnoxious to ignore.. Its not really bad on the first or second speeds but its like a blender on the third one.

I bent my fan a little so its not totally true.. I'm thinking this is the issue but I really don't know.. Anyone run into this before? Is it a bent fan?

-Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
With the heater motor and fan attached pulled out of your dash try it and see if you hear the noise before it is assembled in your dash. Probably won't hear it. If you do a bad motor. Probably your fan is rubbing against something in the housing. Look for a wear mark on the fan and mark wear it is rubbing. Then look in your housing for the wear mark and try adjusting a little bit. I do not want to say beat it with a hammer but make the adjustments you need to stop it. Got to be rubbing somewhere unless it is the motor.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the defroster box reached in and trued the fan a little. Its not hitting anything.. Before I installed it I tested the motor by itself and it ran pretty normally after I freed a stuck brush..

The closer to true I get the fan the quieter it is.. I've got it quiet enough now that when its on the air moving noise is louder than the fan running so at least its an improvement. The whole heater box vibrates. Its particularly loud when its speeding up or slowing down. I might try to post up a video if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your fan is bent it is out of balance. The faster you run it the more vibration and noise you will have.
I got it pretty much as true as possible short of buying a new one. Still loud as anything. I'm beginning to suspect the motor. I pulled it apart before to clean the brushes because it wasn't working at all.. And one of the bearings had come out when I was trying to remove the armature shaft.. I got it back in but it was tough and I may have bent the clips that hold it in.. Or repositioned it somehow..

I am going to just bite the bullet and get another one from a member on here.. Its just too obnoxious. Like a blender.

The fan does have some horizontal play.. Maybe a 1/4 inch movement. The bearing may be deeper now than it should be causing it to vibrate..

Hitting it with a rubber hammer changes the noise but not significantly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts