Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, Dave here again with another question. I started restoring the heater box by blasting as much of the rust out of the insides as possible. I noticed that there was a strip of black mounting caulk down each side of the box that the heater core was imbedded in. I haven't come up with anything on the internet yet and all of the kits seem to have a foam type of gasket for you to use. Does anybody have any idea what type of a caulk or sealant can be used like the factory did instead of the foam?

Thanks in advance
Dave Lagle

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 2 door sedan 350 / 350
130 Posts
I used 3m strip caulk 08578 when I restored the heater box in my C10
I just got it at the parts store it comes in a box with about 60 strips of it

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,498 Posts
O K . . . . I did my 'heater core replacement' , back in 2009 ; 69 heater & factory A/C car .

What I used is " 3M - Strip Caulk " . I bought mine at an 'Auto Paint & Supply Store' (a local store,
to me) . GM used this product in alot of their cars (back in th' 60's - 80's ; maybe longer) .
Comes in a flat box - - with layers of caulking = cut into small strips .
OR ............ I just afew weeks ago .............. resealed two roof vents on my " R V " ; and I bought some
'roof vent sealer' = " Butyl Tape " (about $ 9.00 a roll ) . . . the roll I bought was like 1/2" wide X 25 feet .
Looks & feels just like the 3M strip - Caulk . . . . .. but in a roll . (maybe any R V dealer) .

Back in the Body Shop days . . . . . we used the " 3M Strip Caulk " ................ I think that would work best .

just my 2cents . . . .

. . . jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you bowtieZone and Twinshadows, I really appreciate the help and information. I'll get some 3M strip caulk and give it a go.

Thanks again
Dave Lagle

·
Vendor
2,069 Posts
Napa usually has it on the shelf as well (at least ours do).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts