Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...
I have a 1973 Nova that I just got done putting together for a fun project. The car Was Not a factory AC car but I’m currently trying to get the heater working in the car but the car doesn’t have original wiring under the dash to hook up the blower motor to run the heat. I have the original pigtail that comes off of the original controls on the dash I’m just trying to identify which each color wire does what so that I can properly wire everything up to work. I attached pics of the controls and pigtail. If anyone could tell what each color wire is for I would truly appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
1. In your picture of the connection your position / circuit # 52 (from the drawing I uploaded with the arrow should be Orange 14 ga and orange 18 gauge. vice your yellow and orange. Be mindful that the color wont matter but the gauge is important as the orange 18 ga. goes to the resister and the orange 14 ga. goes threw the firewall to the fan. Actually the path is from the resister to the junction at the control then 14 gauge to the fan. RIF RAF post is a much simpler representation of the system, then what I ave ( more fun, you have to partly remove the inner fender well to access the fan motor.)

circuit 50 is the feed from the fuse box. your wire looks to be black vice brown, but again, as long as its fed from the heater circuit with the 25 amp fuse with a 14 ga wire, you'll be good.
circuit 52 is the two orange wires I detailed above. and high speed.
circuit 51 is low speed yellow
circuit 72 is medium speed lite blue

the resister is mounted on top of the heater duct. If yours is not there , or not working replacements are available from classic industries, jegs , summit etc.

The circuit above the control switch In the picture is your heater control lite. It goes in the bottom side of the heater frame. bulb # 1895, 2 watts. same as all the other dash lights and it dims with them as well.

Let me know if this is enough: I can take more pics and post or mail you a copy of my drawings. Id the later, PM me.

I bought the 20 page manual online, from..

GL hope this helps

·
Registered
114 Posts
1. In your picture of the connection your position / circuit # 52 (from the drawing I uploaded with the arrow should be Orange 14 ga and orange 18 gauge. vice your yellow and orange. Be mindful that the color wont matter but the gauge is important as the orange 18 ga. goes to the resister and the orange 14 ga. goes threw the firewall to the fan. ( more fun, you have to partly remove the inner fender well to access the fan motor.)

circuit 50 is the feed from the fuse box. your wire looks to be black vice brown, but again, as long as its fed from the heater circuit with the 25 amp fuse with a 14 ga wire, you'll be good.
circuit 52 is the two orange wires I detailed above. and high speed.
circuit 51 is low speed yellow
circuit 72 is medium speed lite blue

the resister is mounted on top of the heater duct.

The circuit above the control switch is your heater control lite. It goes in the bottom side of the heater frame. bulb # 1895, 2 watts. same as all the other dash lights and it dims with them as well.
Let me know if this is enough: I can take more pics and post or mail you a copy of my drawings. Id the later, PM me.

I bought them online, from.. classic industries I think.

GL hope this helps
Nice post and good info Rupertflood. - especially regarding the wire gauge thus avoiding the "Awww Crap!" moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts