Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an efficiency advantage of running a heat sink vs. a tube/fin cooler? All I havent found online any kind of negative feedback on the heat sink.

Is the heat sink more of a racing application?

Thanks
Art

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't know much about them but the little bit I've seen they are used for applications where clearance or space is too tight for a tube/fin type. I don't think they are as efficient. I run a tube/fin type AND a temp gauge. Heat kills transmissions. That being said I installed mine because of drag racing in the summer heat with some hot lapping. I have had high performance street cars in the past where I didn't use a trans cooler and never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
I have a heat sink on my 66 hardtop. Mounts across the bottom of the radiator and gets great air flow. Over 50k miles of trouble free driving. I also installed one on my 66 wagon with the LS6 and 4L65E. Zero miles on this one but expect the same results.

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Derale today and they said the more efficient cooler they have is a stacked plate. Not much more in price, but I was more ir less curious about the heat sink style

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Nova66, do you happen to know the normal trans temps with it?
I very much like that as I need that space where my big stacked plate is for an inter cooler. :D

Very nice install.
Did you spin it around so the in/out face the passenger side on the final install?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,387 Posts
I always thought the theory behind the heat sink style is it is frame mounted so the airflow runs the length of all fins so you did not have to mount it up front. Just something I read once.

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly even mounting it under the body next to the tranny and in the direction of flow.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
I always thought the theory behind the heat sink style is it is frame mounted so the airflow runs the length of all fins so you did not have to mount it up front. Just something I read once.
I am not sure. Years ago, late 70's, I had a guy demonstrate how they worked. He held a lighter on a couple of fins for about 30 seconds or so then immediately touched the fins. They were not warm at all. I am sure mine gets more air flow here than if mount under the car. I understand the thought of air flowing length ways.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Nova66, do you happen to know the normal trans temps with it?
I very much like that as I need that space where my big stacked plate is for an inter cooler. :D

Very nice install.
Did you spin it around so the in/out face the passenger side on the final install?
Thanks,
Yes, I did mount it with the fitting on the right side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts