Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before winter I reconnected the heater core, wiring, etc on a factory a/c car. A/C is not actually installed. Heat works great. Unfortunately, it works to good. With the weather warming up I’ve noticed there is a good amount of heat coming from the heater when I have it off. From what I remember this happened on my first nova years ago as well.
It seems like residual heat coming from the heater core that is heating up the footwell. Does anyone else have this issue? I have all of my hvac control levers pushed to top setting and fan switch to the far left. Maybe I have the switches in the wrong setting or an issue with the heater. Thoughts?

·
6,502 Posts
On my 68, and I'm thinking also on my 73's and 4's is there is no heater shutoff valve in that water flows through the core regardless. On my daily driver truck it has a heater control valve that shuts the water flow of on one hose and I think why this got added years ago was better AC operation.
It seems tome when I installed an aftermarket AC/Heater system in a 55 Chevy, it too had one of the heater control valves on it. This one worked on vacuum but it seems to me they also make ones with cables.
Oh, and I have seen guys install water valves like what is used in home setups on outdoor water outlets or even quarter turn ball valves..

Jim

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
It seems like pretty much every Chevy I've owned has had this issue.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Munky ……………… Look at this ………….. go & buy a new one ; this one @ O'Reillys ………..
cheap enough . Controls " HOT WATER going into your "inside cab" ……….. lets water flow thru heater - - when everything is turned off .

Mounted onto your Pass - side - inner - fender - skirt :

There -ya go ……………… jim
I assume this is activated via vacuum but how do you activate it if you don’t have a factory a/c box under the hood?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
munky ……………… that's just why - - - - I posted TWO kinds of heater valves .

1st one was "stock kind of valve" ….. look around for your "vac-line" , maybe 'cut off ; maybe inside under your dash' ……. see if you can trace-it-from-u'r heater control ….. then, it would work 'with your heater controls' .
…… maybe turn on u'r heater too 'heat' & then check for 'vac' at the hose .

2nd one still will work . just 'universal-type' ; either works with a small type cable (to make work inside cab ….. if you need) …… just use a "choke type cable" - made too fit.
OR - just install 'in-line at heater-hose' ……. for temp "water cut-off valve" . Turn-off 'manual ; just too stop heater flow' . = note: if you use a "cable for on/off - - valve is "pull on = push off" . (generally) .
Then, they make ALL different SIZE , for different size heater hose. (I just "showed " this one) .
Kinda why I showed both 'Type water control valves' (still got you covered) ; it's your car , you choose .

Really, either way will work - - - for to keep using your Nova ………… with-out getting TOOOO Hot under th' collar . -------- Hope this may help ……….. Thanks , jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
munky ……………… that's just why - - - - I posted TWO kinds of heater valves .

1st one was "stock kind of valve" ….. look around for your "vac-line" , maybe 'cut off ; maybe inside under your dash' ……. see if you can trace-it-from-u'r heater control ….. then, it would work 'with your heater controls' .
…… maybe turn on u'r heater too 'heat' & then check for 'vac' at the hose .

2nd one still will work . just 'universal-type' ; either works with a small type cable (to make work inside cab ….. if you need) …… just use a "choke type cable" - made too fit.
OR - just install 'in-line at heater-hose' ……. for temp "water cut-off valve" . Turn-off 'manual ; just too stop heater flow' . = note: if you use a "cable for on/off - - valve is "pull on = push off" . (generally) .
Then, they make ALL different SIZE , for different size heater hose. (I just "showed " this one) .
Kinda why I showed both 'Type water control valves' (still got you covered) ; it's your car , you choose .

Really, either way will work - - - for to keep using your Nova ………… with-out getting TOOOO Hot under th' collar . -------- Hope this may help ……….. Thanks , jim
Thanks! I think I remember seeing the hose under the dash last time I had it apart.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I assume this is activated via vacuum but how do you activate it if you don’t have a factory a/c box under the hood?
Well -- - - - - -- - - did you 'remove your A/C suit-case .......... or ......... was it already gone ?

The Small vacuum hose could still be there , I'd look for it (both under u'r hood / or under u'r dash .
Then, if any hose ARE FOUND , then check by turning on & off your 'dash heater switch / slider controls' .

Reactions: Munky
1 - 10 of 10 Posts