Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of heads and would like to know if they are any good.. I know that some of the members here can tell by a casting number what the basic specs are and whether the are more or less desirable.. The guy that they belonged to ran late models and trucks at Irwindale Speedway.. He was a long time circle track racer here in SoCal. He passed away recently and his brother is cleaning house.. I picked up more then just the heads but the heads are somewhat critical to me as I have a crate engine that has a bad valve in the #1 cylinder.. So I figured if these were decent I would swap these on to that engine.. The brother told me that he thought these heads had beeen on one hisnbrothers race cars..

Anyways I took some pictures of the heads..

Thanks in advance..

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
9:1 compression ratio
76 cc chamber
161/62 CFM
heat treated valve seats
2.02 Intake Valves
1.6 Exhaust Valves
7 bolt exhaust flange
screw in 3/8″ studs
pushrod guideplates
accessory holes

Your heads appear to be mfg'ed in the Fall of '80. An emissions head in the era of thin castings. Thug, you might want to look at them closely for cracks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thug, I'm not too familiar but I'd look around the exhaust seats. Sometimes you don't need to magnaflux them the cracks can be eyeballed but you would likely need to remove the valves.
That era head doesn't get much love. Lots of compromises at that time with the then new unleaded gas and growing emissions standards.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
9:1 compression ratio
76 cc chamber
161/62 CFM
heat treated valve seats
2.02 Intake Valves
1.6 Exhaust Valves
7 bolt exhaust flange
screw in 3/8″ studs
pushrod guideplates
accessory holes

Your heads appear to be mfg'ed in the Fall of '80. An emissions head in the era of thin castings. Thug, you might want to look at them closely for cracks.
Those heads don't look like they have screw in studs and I think those are the 1.94 intakes not 2.02.????

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NastyZ28 site indicates as follows:

1979-85 - 350ci - 1.94 - 1.5

Nothing more then that.. Where else can we find more detailed information to substantiate Alf’s information or clarify what I actually have..?

I use NastyZ28 to check engine block information and feel confident with their database of info but sometimes suffix codes are not always listed... That is pretty rare though..

·
Registered
878 Posts
I took that info from a cylinder site I've relied on in the past. Valve size doesn't seem correct to me either

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Those are the same heads that were on my engine when I bought it. It is a 78 L-82 that they put in Vettes and Z28's. The valves in mine were 2.02/1.60, with 76cc chambers, 161cc intake runners and screw in studs.
One of the reasons I didn't keep them is because I read that they are crack prone (thin castings--mentioned above). I replaced with similar heads with heavier castings. Yours may be fine. Would be good to have them checked out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts