Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here,

I purchased a 73 nova a couple weeks ago. after going through a bucket of wet receipts I learned somethings
sbc350 30 over to 355

It was rebuilt about a year ago.
flat tops pistons with 4 valve reliefs.
flat tappet lunati cam .480/.480 230/230
It has a receipt for roller rockers though i haven't checked.
it's the 193 casting (swirl port)
holly carb
edelbrock performer intake (w center bolts)

From the research I did these heads were not great.
I could use some guidence for a strong budget head that promotes good airflow.

I would want something that shoots for around 400hp though I am more a fan of face ripping torque.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Sounds like a job for some vortec heads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing i dont like about vortecs is the money saved w the heads go to a new intake. But i have been looking. Any idea if 400 is out of range with the cam,compression and flow with vortecs

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
New here,
It was rebuilt about a year ago.
flat tops pistons with 4 valve reliefs.
flat tappet lunati cam .480/.480 230/230
It has a receipt for roller rockers though i haven't checked.
it's the 193 casting (swirl port)holly carb
edelbrock performer intake (w center bolts)
I would want something that shoots for around 400hp though I am more a fan of face ripping torque.
The 193 Heads do not match up very well with the Lunati cam you have. 193's are very good torque heads below 4500 RPM and would match up much better with a cam in the 210 to 212 @ .050 range. The cam you currently have (although not ideal) would match up better with the cheap Vortec Head upgrade, conical springs, 1.6 rockers and a RPM Vortec upgrade which would probably put you there or slightly over. The Vortec upgrade would be like having another 193 engine added in.:devil::yes: JMO.... Jack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Jackal
would a Vortec be able to handle the lift .480 without issue. Thought that was to much. (.512 w/1.6 rocker)(i think)

Do they make modified vortecs that would fit the deal?

I found some promaxxs that looked alright just with flow numbers and cr any experience with them?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
@ Jackal, would a Vortec be able to handle the lift .480 without issue. Thought that was to much. (.512 w/1.6 rocker)(i think)Do they make modified vortecs that would fit the deal?
I found some promaxxs that looked alright just with flow numbers and cr any experience with them?
That is why I recommended the spring upgrade. The Bee Hive spring and conical go right in and provide all the lift room you would need. They do sell ready to go Vortecs with the upgrade installed. I think Pace does them that way among others. I do not know anything about Promaxx heads other than what I have read. Here is a shoot-out article about the heads formally known as Patriot. Jack

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticle..._sbc_head_shootout/viewall.html#ixzz2Txm8ddon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So bee hive is seperate of conical.

Thanks for the info. Trying to learn as much as possible before i sink money into this. Would it behoove me to get larger cc intake runners... ie 190 vs 170 cc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vortec style refers to the lack of center bolts in the intake manifold right?

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can look around and find a good set of used Dart Iron Eagles for around $500 to $600 ready to go. Vortecs are good upgrade for a engine with a small cam (.480 lift with 1.5 rockers). Double hump heads are over priced for old technology. So with what you are wanting to do something with a 180 or 190cc intake runner is all you need. Do a search on craigslist and sooner or later a set will pop up for you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Vortecs are a good head for sure and depends on what vortecs you get some aftermarket heads come with both regular vortec and some come with both old and vortec intake paterns.

That Car Craft test proves that even the older irons still make decent power down 24hp from the vortecs and that was with 1.2-1.5 comp less so that means that same comp I think the old 426 heads would have made the same power as vortecs with that cam.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Some other things to think about with the Vortec heads.

You will need to use self alining rocker arms or have the head studs removed and change to screw in studs and guide plates. (Not a bad thing)

Also guides will need to be cut down if lift is excess of .500 at the valve.

FYI
Al

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I will keep my eyes open. I keep finding these promaxx heads. Good price.. decent flow numbers.. anyone have a preference of straight plugs vs angled plugs

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks guys. I will keep my eyes open. I keep finding these promaxx heads. Good price.. decent flow numbers.. anyone have a preference of straight plugs vs angled plugs
Promaxx is the old patriots if this is really the old owner of patriot freedom heads

I sold the shop.. It will be re-open in a few weeks as ProMaxx Peformance Parts.. That's all i have to say... Thanks
Another thing is profiler is a decent head you can get them from jegs for 537.99-559.99 from jegs ea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
324 Posts
if your heads will use angle or straight thats more of a deciding factor then what works better. If you have high domes then angle plugs might help as it might keep the tip away from the dome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neither way is a make it or break it. I am just trying to gain as much insight as possible before I pull the trigger on anything.
I did read lots of good things about a lot of different heads. Just trying to get the opinion of people who may have tried some of them.
There are a couple things that are "a-head" (get it lol) of this. Like new windshield and a slow leak of tranny fluid, that I have yet to pinpoint.
Thanks guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts