Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on installing a new headliner in a 71. I know that they used a heavy windlace to retain it along the sides, front and rear. Is this windlace available somewhere? All I can find is the universal smaller stuff. Anybody have any ideas? I do have a donor car that I could pull it from. Would need to paint it and it is still not perfect.

Bob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yup, it is certainly available.
They have specific pieces made cut to length (& the ends are finished-off) for the 3rd Gens at least, that I know. Or you can buy bulk (unfinished ends).
Now, who are "they"?
Without digging into my pile of receipts, I'd say it was Classic Industries or Classic Muscle I bought from. I'm sure there are others.
I was able to replace all necessary interior pieces through various distributors.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm not sure why you would need anything different from the stock windlace. I used the stock windlace to put on a fiberglass 1pc headliner from TMI and it worked just fine (tons of photos here: TMI 1pc Headliner '68-'72 Nova Install). A standard bow-type headliner is mostly retained by the adhesive and bows. I have no idea what they would mean by "heavy" windlace.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bob, you now have a few places to search it out. Good luck.

Clint, what you say is true - stock will work fine but I have to admit, the windlace along the top of the door frame is slightly bigger than "stock" and actually looks better, some would agree.
I had stock first myself and replaced it with the correct "heavy" stuff. It just looked better. Functionally, like you said, no advantage at all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure why you would need anything different from the stock windlace. I used the stock windlace to put on a fiberglass 1pc headliner from TMI and it worked just fine (tons of photos here: TMI 1pc Headliner '68-'72 Nova Install). A standard bow-type headliner is mostly retained by the adhesive and bows. I have no idea what they would mean by "heavy" windlace.
Not sure where I ever mentioned anything other than the stock windlace. I am in fact questioning if the stock windlace is available somewhere.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, it is certainly available.
They have specific pieces made cut to length (& the ends are finished-off) for the 3rd Gens at least, that I know. Or you can buy bulk (unfinished ends).
Now, who are "they"?
Without digging into my pile of receipts, I'd say it was Classic Industries or Classic Muscle I bought from. I'm sure there are others.
I was able to replace all necessary interior pieces through various distributors.
I have been able to find the rear window and the door jamb ones. I am thinking that the two that run down the sides of the headliner as well as at the windshield may actually be the same dimension as that on the rear window. The problem that I have is that this was torn down in 1988 and those pieces are gone. I know that they are larger dimension and have a return lip on them. I do not want to just use the standard drive on that is on the market. I will find them in a donor car perhaps.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and offer direction.

Bob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ford? I took 'stock" to mean bulk, as opposed to application specific. I was responding to both you and Clint with that impression in mind.
Sorry if I steered anyone wrong.

·
Registered
423 Posts
...and because I got curious, I looked up the windlace I bought in my receipt pile.

I bought it from GM Classics in 2018 but they don't seem to stock it as a specific application part anymore. They do offer by the foot however, so you're still good to go. You can find it as part # 69109-3 (then choose your colour). One of the pictures provided show it used for your specific application.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I apologize. I completely missread the post. You referred to "heavy" windlace and I misinterpreted that as meaning something heavier than stock.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Ford, you must have already tried a piece of the 69109-3. Sorry if I mislead you.
I know a picture can be misleading but it sure looked like the stuff I have now (heavier than the "bulk") when I looked at the picture of the headliner trim above the door and down around the rear window.
But I'm likely wrong.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That part number is what I am trying to avoid having to use. It is not correct and is a universal product. The OEM windlace is twice the size and has a return lip at a 90* angle.
I'm not sure what your looking for, like I said I ordered by color from GM Classics and it looks and works great, a couple of guys at the car show have unrestored cars and it looks the same except better cause its new.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what I bought, is this what you are referring to? View attachment 406020
No. This is a generic replacement that is not correct. Yes it will work. Yes I realize that it is available by the foot in a vast array of colors. I was looking for a source for the correct product to avoid having to paint my green donor parts to black. The correct windlace for our cars is much thicker and some of it has a 90* return on it. The two pieces that run up the door jamb have the ends capped.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey ford396, were you able to find the specific windlace you needed? I'm sure a few would like to know source and part numbers if you were successful.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,321 Posts
Thank you for re-sharing your previous post I must of missed it. Good info and I route I may take.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey ford396, were you able to find the specific windlace you needed? I'm sure a few would like to know source and part numbers if you were successful.
I was able to find a replacement for the rear window on Ebay. I did see the door jamb ones online as well. I sourced the sides and door jambs from a donor. I just hope that everyone realizes just how different the aftermarket replacement windlace is that you purchase by the foot. Will it work: shure. Does it look correct: heck no. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
No one can say you are not detail oriented and thorough (that's a compliment).

Might now be a few taking a second look at their installations and maybe even a judge or two re-opening their reference file folders, if we have any here on SNS.

Thanks for following-up.
Tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts