Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1973 Nova Coupe

I need to determine what type of replacement headliner to order. The options are with a seat belt retractor or without. The old headliner is gone so I can't reference it. The seat belt in my car that goes across the waist is retractable. The shoulder strap is adjustable near the latch. Does that mean I need a headliner without retractable seat belts since the shoulder mount is fixed?

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/19chno2dohaa.html

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...7l+350cid+v8,1057069,interior,headliner,14287

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,080 Posts
Yes, the headliner without notches would be correct for your '73 that does not have retractable shoulder belts.

I believe the retractable shoulder belts (that require notches in the headliner) weren't introduced until '74.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the headliner without notches would be correct for your '73 that does not have retractable shoulder belts.

I believe the retractable shoulder belts (that require notches in the headliner) weren't introduced until '74.
thanks for the confirmation! Wish me luck on the installation. From what I've heard, it's going to be a nightmare.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,080 Posts
You're welcome!

Years ago, before the 73/74 headliners were being reproduced, I took the original backer board out of my '74 and re-covered it with new material. The worst part was bending it just enough to get it to pass through the door opening without cracking the somewhat brittle fiberboard material. From what I've read, the new reproduction headliners have a plastic backer board that is considerably more flexible than the originals so that should make that part of the job easier. And it will also help if you have someone to hold the headliner up into place while you install the trim pieces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts