Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed their own headliner? Is it a hard job? My car is currently painted, but has no glass installed yet. The headline should go in first, is that correct? Does it get glued where it raps around the sheet metal near the top of the windshield? Any help would be appreciated!
Ron

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have done quite a few... glass out makes it much easier. Mark your bows so you know where they go, I sand and paint mine so the headliner slides on it easy. Start at the middle bow and work your way back installing the bows, then install the front ones. Then you pull it side to side [HD paper clips or binders work great to hold the headliner temporarily in place while you work the wrinkles out]. Note you usually have to 'trim' the ends of the sleeve where the bows go to get the headliner to stretch side to side with no wrinkles [ go slow and trim a little off each end till it fits nice]. Another thing I do is put all screws in there holes, then you can feel where they are and make a little 'x' with a razor blade to locate all holes. On either Team Camaro or Chevelle Team there is a sticky post with pics ect, in the 'Interior' section... all early GM headliners install the same basic way. Once you have it tight you can glue up the edges and install your windlace moldings. Don't forget to install the dome light wiring, before you start ;).

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
above post gave great advice. I also let it lay ouy in the sun for a few to help with getting it more plyable, also using a spray bottle with water after its tight and dry will help it tighten up after install. Finding a glue bottle with a brush in it helps to to prevent over spray if you use a spray glue, or using acid brush with a upholstrey glue.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Team Chevelle did the right up in the interior section, very helpful to have the pics to looks at. i think im going to give it a shot when i get my headliner.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have done a few and

the thing I did was used old pinchweld weathstrip short pieces to hold the headliner on the edges. A good warm sunny day and some patiance goes a long way. If you get some wrinkles, be patient with them and you will pull them out. The only thing that separates you from the pro is that you will need more time to do it. MMMMMm and a home steamer can relax the wrinkles too.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I let my neighbor put mine in,he installs carpet,seat covers,etc......he makes it look so ez.......he's been doing it for 30 yrs.:yes:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I installed my headliner in my 66. Above advise is good. I agree with it all. One trick that I did was. I installed the three(3) screws used to hold the sunvisor in place. The screw heads are easy to find after the headliner is in. Then cut a X on top of the screw heads to remove them. Worked great for me. Did the same for the two(2) screws for the dome light.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I installed mine with my roll cage in myself...follow the advise above and for the adhesive clean up, etc., I used kerosene to clean up the overspray, drips, etc. I also used a bunch of the large binder clips to help hold the headliner in place, while I stretched and pulled other sides taught.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts