Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in my 67 this morning to go to work. Car started fine but when I turned the headlights on the gas gauge droped slowly to empty. Turning the light off causes the gas gauge to rise slowly. The flashers are related because when I push the hazzard button the lights work but the flash pattern is very fast and thier flash timing changes. The battery is new and my voltage gauge reads around 14 like it should when running.

Does this sound like a bad ground issue or voltage requlator? Not sure where to start looking. All the bulbs work, nothing burnt out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved.............

I forgot to mention that I had removed all of the screws that hold in the instrument cluster. There are 4 mounting screws on the top, and 2 on the bottom. These screws must be installed to provide the sufficient grounds that all the gauges and some electrical components need to function properly. So not only do these screws appear to hold the instrument cluster bezzel in place, they also provide significant ground.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I thought it was the top 2nd from left only that was the grounding screw for the instrument gauges and bezel?

I did the same thing you did and had the bezel and gauges out at one point. I forgot to put the single screw back in and it caused all kinds of trouble! Then I found it laying there on the floorpan:rolleyes: and once I reinstalled it all was well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts