Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight switch (American auto wire) pulls out to three different positions. I know one position is for park lights, and the other is for the park lights plus the headlights, but what is the third position for? Also, what grounds the park lights/ turn signals? I have two wires running to each light 1 for turn and one for park lights, but no ground. Is it ground by the housing once it's mounted?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
lamps

They ground once mounted to the fender positions, one pull should turn on front park lamps and rear tail lamps, second pull should turn on headlamps...

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
switch

I should have read CAREFULLY before I answered, is the American auto wire switch an aftermarket part? The standard stock switch is a two position pull out only and function as per my first reply ... do your front park lamps stay on with the headlamps in position 2..??
Do just the park lamps come on in position 1, like stock ?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have read CAREFULLY before I answered, is the American auto wire switch an aftermarket part? The standard stock switch is a two position pull out only and function as per my first reply ... do your front park lamps stay on with the headlamps in position 2..??
Do just the park lamps come on in position 1, like stock ?
Yes, it is an aftermarket headlight switch. My park lamps won't come on at all, I think that is because they are just sitting on top of the radiator support right now and not grounded. I will install them tonight and see if that changes anything.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
On your car the park lamps will go out when the headlights come on if its wired like the car came. I think 66 or 68 was the first year they stayed on with the headlights.
Why the switch has three positions? :confused: I've never saw that before.

·
Registered
750 Posts
As it's been mentioned, the factory light switch only has two pull positions.

1st position: running lights, tail lights and instrument cluster lights
2nd position: headlights (running lights turn off), tail lights and instrument lights

You can wire the switch to allow the running lights to stay on with the headlights, here are the instructions...

Running Lights Mod

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - Off
2 - Park Lights
3 - Headlights
:no:

Maybe the factory one did, but the AAW switch is a four position switch including the off position. No biggie as long as I can get everything to function properly. Right now my turn signals work fine, my headlights work fine, but the park lights won't turn on. When I pull the headlight switch to the second position the park lights won't turn on and both my turn signal indicators on my gauge panel light up and stay lit. I haven't installed the park lamps yet since I don't have the rest of the front end together, could it be because they are not grounded?

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I haven't installed the park lamps yet since I don't have the rest of the front end together, could it be because they are not grounded?

Bingo, probably is your problem.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i think i would contact your AAW rep you purchased from and find out about the headlight switch... it should have the standard 3 positions, not 4.

also, if the headlight knob isn't completely installed it might seem like there are 4 positions until you click the knob home... make sure it's fully installed/clicked into the lock position.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think i would contact your AAW rep you purchased from and find out about the headlight switch... it should have the standard 3 positions, not 4.
It is a 3 position switch, not including the off position, the off position would be the fourth position. The AAW highway 15 kit is more of a universal kit, not specific to Nova, maybe that is why it's a different switch.

1- off
2- ?
3- park lamps (I'm assuming until I ground them and get them working)
4- headlights

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
That might be one of those special James Bond light switches. Whatever you do don't put it to position #4 while driving the car.:devil::D:devil:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
:no:

Maybe the factory one did, but the AAW switch is a four position switch including the off position. No biggie as long as I can get everything to function properly. Right now my turn signals work fine, my headlights work fine, but the park lights won't turn on. When I pull the headlight switch to the second position the park lights won't turn on and both my turn signal indicators on my gauge panel light up and stay lit. I haven't installed the park lamps yet since I don't have the rest of the front end together, could it be because they are not grounded?
Both turn indicators on and no park lights means you are missing a ground. Just fixed this on my 67. There were two ground wires in the front harness that had OPENS in different locations. They should have been grounded to the radiator support.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
It is a 3 position switch, not including the off position, the off position would be the fourth position. The AAW highway 15 kit is more of a universal kit, not specific to Nova, maybe that is why it's a different switch.

1- off
2- ?
3- park lamps (I'm assuming until I ground them and get them working)
4- headlights
AAW sells 3 and 4 position headlight switches. 4th position is for high-beams.

Frank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts