Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a headlight relay harness kit from Rally Lights and also installed H4 conversion lamps. I was going to go with a Daniel Stern setup, but I never heard back from him for almost 2 weeks from my email. The Rally Lights setup was a plug and play kit. I ended up replacing the single cheesy fuse with separate water resistant fuses for each relay, and re-did their ring terminal ends with solder and heatshrink ends.

I put the lights and kit all together today. When I turn the lights on, my hi/low switch acts like an on/off switch. My hi beam indicator stays on most of the time while clicking the hi/low switch. Sometimes the lights would stay on between clicking the hi/low switch (light wasn't changing from hi to low). I do not know for sure if the hi beams are the ones coming on/off or if it is my low beams. When I check for voltage on my stock wire end that plugs into the relay kit, both hi and low wires are energized.

When I remove my stock wire end from the relay (but do not plug it back directly into the headlight, I just leave the plug off), my dash indicator works correctly again and when I voltage check the plug end, each wire gets powered separately when I hit the hi/low switch (basically it seems like everything works right when the plug end is disconnected from the relay kit). I cannot tell for sure if it works correctly when disconnected because, like I said, I don't have it plugged directly into the headlights (the way I ran the wires didn't leave me enough wire to get to the headlight).

I read online that someone else had a similar issue and had to install a separate bulb on the passenger side stock headlight wire plug end to get more resistance in the line to trip the relay. Didn't make sense to me, but they said that worked.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I picked up a headlight relay harness kit from Rally Lights and also installed H4 conversion lamps. I was going to go with a Daniel Stern setup, but I never heard back from him for almost 2 weeks from my email. The Rally Lights setup was a plug and play kit. I ended up replacing the single cheesy fuse with separate water resistant fuses for each relay, and re-did their ring terminal ends with solder and heatshrink ends.

I put the lights and kit all together today. When I turn the lights on, my hi/low switch acts like an on/off switch. My hi beam indicator stays on most of the time while clicking the hi/low switch. Sometimes the lights would stay on between clicking the hi/low switch (light wasn't changing from hi to low). I do not know for sure if the hi beams are the ones coming on/off or if it is my low beams. When I check for voltage on my stock wire end that plugs into the relay kit, both hi and low wires are energized.

When I remove my stock wire end from the relay (but do not plug it back directly into the headlight, I just leave the plug off), my dash indicator works correctly again and when I voltage check the plug end, each wire gets powered separately when I hit the hi/low switch (basically it seems like everything works right when the plug end is disconnected from the relay kit). I cannot tell for sure if it works correctly when disconnected because, like I said, I don't have it plugged directly into the headlights (the way I ran the wires didn't leave me enough wire to get to the headlight).

I read online that someone else had a similar issue and had to install a separate bulb on the passenger side stock headlight wire plug end to get more resistance in the line to trip the relay. Didn't make sense to me, but they said that worked.

Any thoughts?
Should have bought the kit I have. It's identical to Daniel Sterns.:p

John

·
6,448 Posts
I just did this yesterday. I used the schematic shown in the link below but upgraded the wires from the relay to headlight and the ground from headlights to 12 gauge. The original wires are small(18 guage maybe). I'm using 55/100 watt bulbs. Even the low beams are brighter with the upgraded wiring and relays added. Keeping the original small guage wiring was not a good idea for the higher wattage of the high beams.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/4417/photo_02.html

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shane. All the wiring that came with the kit was 12 gauge. There is one ground wire from the OEM setup that is really thin. But to me, that shouldn't matter because the OEM wires aren't taking any heavy current, should be the grounds for the relays.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured it out when I was home at lunch. They wired the plug in connector wrong. Had their ground and hi-beam wires reversed. All is well now.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
As already stated, this is one very worthwhile upgrade! I hid my relays in the old voltage regulator since I use an internal-regulator alternator and anyone looking would have no idea about the relays being there, It made my headlights white and bright......no yellow light anymore! I didn'y buy a kit.....but either way, it's a must-have upgrade if you drive your car at night!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts