Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have asked here before, I was wondering if there was something mis-aligned - Fender; hood; headlamp bracket, etc. and the consensus among the readers that the bezel was bent. So I bought a new bezel. The one that was thought to be bent was from the 1990s from NNN and that was the one in question.

So I purchased a new pair from Classic Industries last month, and NONE of the screw holes align. If I just put it up to the fender - the bottom of the headlamp hits the bezel and will not allow it to go back towards the fender and hood contours. It hits the headlamp.

Several days later I saw my origonal bezels and thought I would see how well they matched the contours of the fender, and if they covered the area. This is the result.

The first two photos are the 1960s bezels. The next two are the ones that were suspect to be bent. The last 4 are the bezel that was purchased from Classic Industries.

It appears to me as tho the headlamp bucket or retainer housing needs to be raised. But I see no way of doing that.

Any other ideas? This is really annoying the heck out of me with something that should be so simple - it is only 3 screws - on the OUTSIDE of the car - but this car just HAS to be difficult and nothing about this restoration has been simple on this particular vehicle. :eek:

The pics are of the origonal 1962 bezels.......

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1990s bezels

These are the pics of the bezels that were purchased from NNN. The ones that appeared by everyone to be bent.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
New Classic Industries bezel

These pics are of the ones I purchased last month - that don't align up with anything. The big gap from looking down from the top is with ONE screw attached in the lower corner near the corner of the fender. It forces it to move forward on the grill side.

Attachments

·
15,218 Posts
I had a similar experience with repop 62-64 bezels. Weren't even close to fitting. I ended up restoring my originals. If your originals are beyond restoration, I'd suggest searching for a decent set for restoration.

Bob

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Can you remove the headlight and try fitting the bezel?
That was what I was gonna suggest too. First, remove the bezel, then remove the 3 small headlight retaining ring screws. Take the headlamp out, disconnect the connector and set the headlamp aside. Now see how well the bezel fits. If it will line up better, you might have to tweak the headlamp holder some so you can reinstall the headlight and still have the bezel align. Maybe try loosening the three screws of the headlamp holder before trying the bezel. Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment with things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts