Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed that on my 454 that the old gaskets were fel-pro 8180pt2, and they list for stock motors, but what do they consider stock?

I was told when I bought it that it has around 10:1-10.5:1 compression (has domed pistons) and is nothing wild, but how do I know if the same gaskets are suitable?

If they are fine, I will replace them with the same, if not, what would be a good alternative? How about the Mr Gasket UltraSeal 5802?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Believe it or not.. I have very good success with the steel shim gaskets... and I really prefer them.... I maybe all wet here.. but the composite gasket were developed for sloppy mating surfaces....

the steel shim requires a better head and deck finish to seal properly...

MG ultraSeal are a great gasket...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Felpro, Mr. Gasket, ROL, Detroit, Cometic.......I've used them all with great success and no problems.

I typically measure the deck height and see what gasket thickness I need to get the quench distance (piston-to-cylinder head clearance) I want. Once that's determined the choices usually get narrowed down quite a bit.:yes: That's the one beauty of Cometic. I can get the same gasket in a multitude of thicknesses and if you want a custom thickness they'll actually BUILD them for you. But they, like the steel shims, require a VERY good deck surface finish.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Like Dman said. Dial in the the install height. It's more important than the small change in compression ratio. Your'e compression ratio can actually go up slightly without detonation if the the quench area is correct. This is due to increased turbulence in the chamber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts