Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was originally gonna go with the summit brand Ceramic headers these
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G9001-9&N=700+115&autoview=sku

but i was wondering should i just spend the same amount and get hooker headers? only differenrce is that the hooker ones have that crap black paint on them rather then ceramic finish of the summit ones

these are the hooker ones
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908216+4294907681+4294840140+115&autoview=sku

i was also looking at hedmen but not sure..let me know guys! :yes:

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I went with the Heddman full headers....fit my budget..and my 66...I think they were $150 + shipping...

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with the Heddman full headers....fit my budget..and my 66...I think they were $150 + shipping...
ya out of all 3 of them heddmen are the cheapest in price..hooker seems to be more power i think ha i know a few buds of mine that have hooker comp headers on there nova's. just wondering what the best one is for performance and such not that im expecting much out of a stock engine but getting a new exhaust system i want them so sound good and to be good after my engine rebuild

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm running the 2451's on my '69. They fit well. My car is manual steering and auto trans so that might make a difference. The driver's side header hangs down too low (works with column shifter) and drags on big speed bumps but I'm running six cylinder front springs.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
We used the summit brand ceramic coated headers on my son's 70 and they work well, the right side collector was a little close to the floor but sliding a pipe and giving it a tug down bent it easily into place. The fit otherwise was perfect even with the clutch linkage. 3 summers on them now and doing fine.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We used the summit brand ceramic coated headers on my son's 70 and they work well, the right side collector was a little close to the floor but sliding a pipe and giving it a tug down bent it easily into place. The fit otherwise was perfect even with the clutch linkage. 3 summers on them now and doing fine.
ya i was gonna get those but i figured to spend the same amount on hooker comp headers

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Summit's are dynomax headers. Mine had iffy flanges when I got them and were significantly thinner than my newer hookers. The coating wore off of them, but my car sees a lot of time outside.

I'd go with the hookers, as the quality is better, even if they aren't as pretty.

Kev

·
Registered
482 Posts
hooker comps will be close to the ground. expecialy in LA with those water drain dips at every corner.

forget about the super comps. they hang way too low.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure the Summit's are dynomax headers. Mine had iffy flanges when I got them and were significantly thinner than my newer hookers. The coating wore off of them, but my car sees a lot of time outside.

I'd go with the hookers, as the quality is better, even if they aren't as pretty.

Kev
ya its got that crap black paint not that i can much but it would be pretty nice to have the creamic finish of the summit ones make the engine look better

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hooker comps will be close to the ground. expecialy in LA with those water drain dips at every corner.

forget about the super comps. they hang way too low.
thats true i heard they hang pretty dam low, my area has its bumps here and there but i doubt i would get shorty headers no gain at all..now im stumped :confused:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The black paint will be gone and you will have nothing but rust with in a years time. Ask me how I know.

Hooker super comps.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
ooo crap really? maybe i should go summit then ceramic finish
Go buy some engine enamel and try it out after the paint wears off... might have to try that myself.:yes:

Ceramic headers will need to be polished every now and then anyway, so buying painted ones just save that much more money in maintenance.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go buy some engine enamel and try it out after the paint wears off... might have to try that myself.:yes:

Ceramic headers will need to be polished every now and then anyway, so buying painted ones just save that much more money in maintenance.
ya thats how i was thinking that its cheaper to get crap black then Ceramic finish..well hooker seems to be what to get then unless anyone else got some suggestions?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Holy cow Gandhi! :eek: You're supposed to paint the headers. :D $25 to sandblast and a couple of cans of high temp VHT and you're good to go for years. I painted these about six years ago and they still look fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts