Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting a GM SP383 crate motor with the Fast Burn heads into my '70 Nova. Long story short the only company that makes headers for this specific application is Sanderson & they're block huggers. And I want long tubes. After many phone calls (Doug's, Sanderson's, Headman, Hooker & a few others) Summit said that Doug's (part #D-368) will work. Doug's said they will work "in theory". So my headers that work "in theory" are in the mail. The problem is the Fast Burn heads. I read where they have higher exhaust ports. Although I've talked to the Summit tech line twice & have an email from them I'm still leery. I got the motor from them so they know exactly what motor I have. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thank You! Bill
Oh, I have Pwr Steering, a Muncie 4 speed & close ratio steering.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I’d run booker super comp’s or Hedman. Think there are a couple guys that run hedman’s with good results.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have the AFR 210 angle plugs on my 383 and they have a raised exhaust port. Had the 195 angle plugs on my buddies 383 I built him and on my last 72 as well with my built 383 and AFR 15 angle plugs.

Dynatech headers fit great with no issues. Best header I've ran and best fitting/made I've ran for these 3rd gen Novas.

First set I got realy cheap from a sponsor that used to be on this forum.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have the AFR 210 angle plugs on my 383 and they have a raised exhaust port. Had the 195 angle plugs on my buddies 383 I built him and on my last 72 as well with my built 383 and AFR 15 angle plugs.

Dynatech headers fit great with no issues. Best header I've ran and best fitting/made I've ran for these 3rd gen Novas.

First set I got realy cheap from a sponsor that used to be on this forum.
Dynatech is what I was trying to think of in my previous post instead of hedman. Those dynatechs are a nice header for the money!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a set I bought of the Dynatech headers for my 383 with chevy angle plug heads but haven't installed everything yet, they look really well made.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also have Dynatech headers, purchased earlier this year, thanks to a recommendation by sbc1320. They're not installed yet either, will be going on a 383. They are stepped at 1 5/8" to1 3/4". Part # 740-11210.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Dynatech is what I was trying to think of in my previous post instead of hedman. Those dynatechs are a nice header for the money!
If running the Hedman then go with the Husler's as they fit well too.

Dynatech has 3/8" flanges top and bottom. They also use a 4 bolt flange that won't warp and can't leak or blow the captured style half donut type gasket.

I run their 1 3/4"x 1 7/8', had a set on the last Nova with my hydraulic roller 383 and have them on my buddies 72 with my built 383 hydraulic roller and AFR 195 heads. His hit on his power steering box and mine didn't with my power steering on my last car. His box has been changed and is the easiest power steering I have ever seen on any car. Dynatech says it won't work with the quick ratio power steering which must be what he has as somebody has changed his box out before he got the car.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Summit makes a long tube ceremic coated header that I have on 2 of my card and have zero complaints. Last I checked they were $249 dlvd

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Ok, got the Doug's headers that are suppose to fit & they won't work. The bolt holes in the fast burn heads are lower in relationship to the ports (on the heads) than on other heads. I would only have a 1/16" +/- of contact surface where the bottom of the headers touch the heads. I can't imagine it not blowing a gasket... I'll post pic's of the fast burn heads compared to AFR's. Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Go see Dan Lemons up the road from you in Paso Robles. He makes custom headers and has a flange for everything.
Greater cost than an out of the box header but the quality is as good as you can get.
lemonsheaders.com

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thank You! ;)... I always wondered why no one ever put this motor in a Nova... Now I know why Lol....
I have Fast Burn heads on my 383, with Doug's D-304 headers. They do fit the "D" ports. Doug's lists them as 'SHORTY" headers, but they're actually mid-length, and the description on the Doug's website refers to them as such. But the engine still makes lots of torque, despite their shorter tube length. However, I bought them specifically because they were shorter - I'm sick of header collectors scraping. And with the Header Buddies that I'm using, the only gaskets are at the heads.

https://shop.dougsheaders.com/doug-s-headers-d304-1-5-8-4-tube-shorty-header-chevrolet-67-81-camaro-64-83-chevelle-malibu-64-87-el-camino-78-88-monte-carlo-71-94-passenger-wagon-oldsmobile-78-88-cutlass-supreme-78-84-calais-78-83-cruiser-pontiac-78-87-grand-prix-82-86-b.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

I hope this helps,

Gerry

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I also have Dynatech headers, purchased earlier this year, thanks to a recommendation by sbc1320. They're not installed yet either, will be going on a 383. They are stepped at 1 5/8" to1 3/4". Part # 740-11210.
Sad, Dynatech is only making the headers for the 3rd gen with an LS. There wasn't enough demand for them. Not making them for the Gen. I anymore. If I build another one(doubtful) I'll run the Hedman Huslers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts