Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What headers will work on a 63 Nova convertible with a real ZI 327 and Muncie 4-speed and a full Church Boys Racing frontend kit (rack, coilovers, tubular control arms, Ididit column)? I plan to use the stock bellhousing and clutch setup. I'd like to use Doug's Tri-Y, or Sanderson shorty headers if I can. Not 4-tubes. Otherwise, I'll have to put on stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.
Thanks,
Ron in Alabama now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just went through a similar set up on my car. The only difference was the heads I used which moved the exhaust ports about 1/4". I used the JW Nova headers. You will need to add the 3rd Borgeson joint which is available from CBR and dimple the headers just a little bit to clear the joint. I also had to trim the flanges where the front sub frame mounts to the body. Other than that it was not a bad fit. No issues at all with the z bar or any of the clutch linkage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Are the JW headers full-length 4 tube? Does CBR have the info about the third joint (where to cut the shaft, etc.) ? I hope to go CBR all the way. I liked what I saw at Bowling green NNN Nationals a couple years ago. The their kit parts are top quality. Now to figure out how to put them together....

·
Registered
260 Posts
They are full length 4 tube headers. They are very inexpensive and I cannot say that they are the best headers that I have seen.... Flanges are a little thinner than the high priced headers, but are 1-5/8" which is what I needed for my new motor. CBR sells the 3 rd joint, but where you cut it in is up to you. You probably will have a lot more options if you don't mind 1-1/2" headers. That is what I removed from my car but I am not sure what brand they were.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tri-Y vs. 4 Tube

for the Flyer:
I'm looking at the Sanderson C32's in the catalog. They may be an alternative, if they hug the block to clear the steering shaft, and aren't too low to the ground. Maybe the C3 headers ??

for 66LongRoof:
Did you take off a set of Doug's Tri-Ys ? Where did they hit the steering shaft ? The shaft is the only thing different from the stock + the extra room without the original steering linkage. Did you consider modifying them ?

for Scott67:
I'll try to get more info from J&W. They have been good to me in the past.

Thanks all.
Ron

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have full CBR Front-End and running Hooker Super-Comps. Surprising enough, the hookers clear everything and could not be happier.
Also the front-end is slammed the flanges are the lowest thing on the car but they self correct after a few good dips in the road.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes I took off the the Tri-Y's. Modifying the headers is not an option, not gonna cut up a set of coated headers. Replaced them with a set of Brzezinski CNC Ported Ram Horn Manifolds.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have this Sanderson header I got from NovaJoe. Fit Prefect
Sanderson CC14 Small Block Chevy Header Set for '62-67 Nova

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Hooker 2243's are 1 3/4 and performace type header and fit CBR steering like it was made for it:D

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I have CBR front end & Sanderson CC14's, nice headers but I'd like something more performance oriented.
Hooker 2243's are 1 3/4 and performace type header and fit CBR steering like it was made for it:D
Thanks for the info but I think 1.75" tubes would be too much for my mild build.
If you are running an automatic the 2243's are the best out there. There are Two types of headers...cheap beat till they fit non performance then there are performance headers that do the job and fit....

The O.P. was asking about a stick shift application, in that situation a 3rd joint is a must for the steering shaft.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about w/ correct Nova ram horns, 4 spd and ididit column, is the third joint still required or maybe a vibration damper at the column for added lenght?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts