Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
So I’m thinking about hopping up my 1962 194 and I found a dual carb intake but I’m looking hot some headers but I can only find ones that say they will fit 216/235/261
I read a post on here that said they should still work so I just want to make sure that that is true here is a link to some I’m looking at

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,995 Posts
What kind of dual carburetors are you planning to run? I know a lot of guys run a single very small 4 barrel on their I-6's. Can't imagine needing much more than that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
194” is a tiny motor, of course if money is no object, you can probably make some gains. If you care even slightly about drivability and reliability, a stock 250” six would be a better choice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright awesome those are perfect Thanks for the input everyone
I’m still just thinking and planning it out in my head still not sure if I’m doing any of it, I’m probably going to do a v8 swap some time in the future but the engine is in really good shape and it drives really well right now and I think I can do dual carb intake and headers for around 1000 than I could have fun with the car and push back the swap for a few years. I’ll look into the 4 barrel too I might go that way as well

·
Registered
235 Posts
Alright awesome those are perfect Thanks for the input everyone
I’m still just thinking and planning it out in my head still not sure if I’m doing any of it, I’m probably going to do a v8 swap some time in the future but the engine is in really good shape and it drives really well right now and I think I can do dual carb intake and headers for around 1000 than I could have fun with the car and push back the swap for a few years. I’ll look into the 4 barrel too I might go that way as well
over carb it will make it way worse of a dog than it is now...fuel will pool at the bottom of the intake under the carb due to lack of velocity to transport the fuel...leave it alone...sell it as is and get a nova with way more potential

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
My friend's father when I was in high school was involved in intake manifold design and related stuff. He worked with guys like Ed Iskenderian and Don Vesco. He was slowly building a triple one barrel carb'ed Chrysler slant six to run at Bonneville in some weird class. The triple carb design apparently flowed the best and provided the most stable A/F mixture to the cylinders for an inline motor of this design. It is also the largest headache to setup and maintain. Always trade-offs.

Definitely do not want to over carb though as others have warned. I think the Holley 390 is the preferred option (need to do the VE math).

If you have the resources, throw the 194 head on a 250. The 194 is supposed to have smaller chambers, higher compression.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
do a searce for this name, twinshadows he has a nice L-6 with a 390 four barrel set-up an lots of pictures to go with his posts.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
If you search down to post 24 and later, it should show my inline 6

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
do a searce for this name, twinshadows he has a nice L-6 with a 390 four barrel set-up an lots of pictures to go with his posts.
Thank you , Mike . . . .

Shane T , that's a very stock 250ci - 155hp - matching numbers engine . Basicly, second owner car ,
bought new in Phoenix, AZ . and (used - to - be) , very original car . Last few years ….. I've started adding
those 'up-grades' ; only because everything was / is old on the car. 1st good change was that Holley
390 - 4bbl carb & Offy intake. Then came the (stock 69 SS) - GM front disc brakes , and then changed out the
matching p/g trans ….. to the T 5 - 5speed. Next = I'm working too get the A/C back up & working ,
along with getting my "Langdon Split - exhaust" manifolds installed .
NO complete "Rebuild here" . . . . . just a driver . . . . . let the next 'care-taker' do the make-over .
Thanks to everyone here on SNS for having me . . . . . . . plus , a very fun Nova too have & drive .

later , jim

Reactions: Redrider66SS

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
also Shane T . . . . .

Hey guys
So I’m thinking about hopping up my 1962 194 and I found a dual carb intake but I’m looking hot some headers but I can only find ones that say they will fit 216/235/261
I read a post on here that said they should still work so I just want to make sure that that is true here is a link to some I’m looking at

For your " 194 Six engine " …………… those (216-235-261) ….. exhaust will NOT Work .
Your motor is in the = 194 - 230 - 250 - 292 engine group . (mostly 194 - 230 - 250 …… 292 motor ,
is a " " little different " " . . . ).
Also , FYI about getting "Headers" ……..
Really depends on your - intake manifold : meaning ,
Stock six (cast iron - intake) manifold : will work with the 'stock exhaust manifold' . . . .
the Offenhauser Aluminum intake ; will work with the 'stock exhaust manifold' . . . .
the Offenhauser Aluminum intake ; will work with the "Langdon Cast-Iron Split exhaust manifolds"
the Offenhauser Aluminum intake ; will work with ' tube headers' . . . .

the "Clifford Aluminum intake" ; will ONLY work with 'tube headers' . . . . .
(use the exact same Clifford intake for BOTH 2bbl or 4bbl (single) carb ) .

maybe this may help you make your choice . . . . for (any) intake & exhaust manifolds on your Six .

later , jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts