Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched, surely there's a way to search a quote, because all I came up with was muchas post on header this and header that. I know I'm not the first to ask.

I've got a 71 that's not a daily driver but I do drive it whenever and wherever I want, so it's not a trailer queen. But I do got a set of ratty looking Afterburner on it, while their good headers, they look like hammered hell. I'd imagine their too far gone for powder coating or ceramic coating. So I figure I'll run 'em till I can pony up for something more suited.

It's about 50/50 out on the net as to wrap or not. Anybody out there with real experience on wrap. Looking for real opinions on it, not somebody who read something one time that it's no good and the only option is to drop a G and buy stainless.

·
Registered
789 Posts
There was a set of 3/4 length 1 1/2" cheapie headers on my car when I bought it that were wrapped from the collector to the head.By the looks of everthing else on the exhaust they had been wrapped for probably 5 years.To sell them I removed the wrap to see if they were rotten.No problem,looked fine other than normal surface rust.Got a 100 clams for them.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Headers will not last and will crack when wrapped.

I used it very sparingly (about 4") on 2 tubes just to protect wires.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wrapped mine. I have uncoated headers and didn't want to look at flaking paint. I also wanted to reduce heat. Since I don't care if my headers last 20 years it works for me. It really helps with the heat. It also quiets it down some.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Speedway has a high ceramic satin black paint,$40/4oz,$60/12oz. I sandblasted and then painted my super comps this spring. So far at 4K miles they are still looking good even on the initial bends where the heat is greatest and on the bottoms where they are exposed to flying dirt and rocks.
I know this doesn't answer your question about wraps but maybe another affordable option.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wrapped my headers for about 10K miles...no issues. It was not a full house motor or one that was subjected to track duty, etc.

You would be surprised at what the coating companies can do with headers. I've had mine done and they turn them into something new.

I prefer the bright finish, but doesn't have the durability as the darker finishes...really brightens the engine bay-more available light!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts