Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I discovered this problem after I got the car home:

The motor is mounted solid and it doesn't appear to be moving or rubbing the steering box severely. It concerns me however, due to the heat on the steering box. Any Ideas? (Cheap fixes please...lol I have lots of stuff to do to this car)

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Looks to me like the headers were not correct for your car. I have never seen any that tight to the box. Any chance that the previous owner has the frame mounts on the wrong sides? If I remember correctly, the shorter frame mount goes on the passenger side...something to look at.

Jack

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm a small block person so I don't know a lot about big blocks, however I did read somewhere that some big blocks Novas were offset from the factory. I think there may be special motor mounts and crossmembers that offset the motor slightly.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a possibility. I guess I would just measure from the crossmember where the mount bolts in to the top of the mount? One should be shorter than the other?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Funny thing. Back when I first got my car, it had the original manifolds on it. Then I saw an ad for headers in the local classifieds. I called the number and the guy said they'd fit a Nova. So I buy em and put em on and they do the same thing yours did. I guess I thought there was a slight space between the header and the box, but after a few days, it just bent itself around the box like yours did. I didn't have money for a good set (only paid $20 for those) so I just left it like that for about a year and a half. Never had any problems. :eek:

Matt

·
Registered
222 Posts
this is a common problem with novas, i have 3 and all of them had to get the headers bent or dinged in to clear teh steering box, on the one i have righ now im running heademan shorty ceramic coated and it still didnt clear teh steering box , so i just wen rack and pinon.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SuperNova69 said:
Funny thing. Back when I first got my car, it had the original manifolds on it. Then I saw an ad for headers in the local classifieds. I called the number and the guy said they'd fit a Nova. So I buy em and put em on and they do the same thing yours did. I guess I thought there was a slight space between the header and the box, but after a few days, it just bent itself around the box like yours did. I didn't have money for a good set (only paid $20 for those) so I just left it like that for about a year and a half. Never had any problems. :eek:

Matt
Cool. I was wondering if the heat would cook the box. I was worried about the headers rubbing through - but I started it and the motor doesn't hardly shake at all - considering it has a .629 lift cam. Then I looked and saw that it has solid mounts - so I guess it wouldn't shake much. I'll measure the mounts to make sure they aren't backwards or something, and if not I guess I'll leave it alone.....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hm OD looking headers.. what size is the primary pipes?? I saw your´s are the hooker brand too.

Is your car a Big Block car from the beginning?

I changed to Bb in my -72 nova and had Hooker super com headers with 2" primary pipes,

I changed the chassie mounts from Sb to Bb parts and I had "lots" of space from steering box to headerpipes.. At least 3/4" the dia of my pointfinger.

So either is the header wrong or some other part not the one to bee there.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
The clearance is always tight on the 3rd gen cars. You can swap to BBC frame mounts it moves the engine up and to the left. It moves the engine away from the steering box and brake booster. Mine has the same headers as yours does, 2 1/8 Hooker Super Comp. Mine has very minor clearance issues with SBC mounts and Moroso solid mounts.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Mine has the same headers as yours does, 2 1/8 Hooker Super Comp. Mine has very minor clearance issues with SBC mounts and Moroso solid mounts.
I know both of those look like 2 1/8 hooker super comps but they sure don't look like the same header to me:cool:

Look at your third tube back and look at his, yours goes up and around for clearance his goes down.

I am wondering if his headers are not for a nova?

Tg

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I know both of those look like 2 1/8 hooker super comps but they sure don't look like the same header to me
Maybe his is on the wrong side.:D They are for sure not the same header. It doesn't look like mine would work either with the power steering hoses on his the third tube would hit the lines.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
They look like Chevelle/Full size Headers.If you take the Number off of the Flange it will cross over.
Joe

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Racinfan83 said:
I discovered this problem after I got the car home:

The motor is mounted solid and it doesn't appear to be moving or rubbing the steering box severely. It concerns me however, due to the heat on the steering box. Any Ideas? (Cheap fixes please...lol I have lots of stuff to do to this car)
They are Hooker comps. My old ones fit like that before I put in the tall Moroso Solid mounts. Looks like the car was a small block. The headers hit like that with sb mounts. I still have sb mounts but I use the tall Moroso solid mounts. Here's a pic of the mount and both sides with the headers. My tubes are 2". There is about 1/8" between the #3 tube and the box. Later. Mark!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
68chevyll said:
Looks like the car was a small block.
Yes I believe it was a SB car originally as it used to have factory air...In another thread on the car there are some pics posted that show the interior and the AC vents are clearly on the dash.....so it is a good bet that it might still have the SB frame mounts installed

Just my 2 cents ;)

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It was a small block car ( no bb in '71) It also HAD factory AC. Not any more....:( Anyway, I think I will try to measure the frame mounts when I get time and compare. If one of you guys know how tall the big-block mounts are from the c-member to the center of the bolt, please post the measurement. I wonder if raising it up to clear the steering box if I have the small block mounts will create issues with my future project of restoring power brakes to the car however. Any thoughts on that? Maybe it's better to leave it alone?

BTW...68chevyII I went on your cardomain site. That is one FINE ride you have there! What size tires are on the back and did they fit under the fenders with no mods????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts