Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im brand new to the site and i have a question i wanted to see if anyone could help me out with. I recently did a six to eight conversion in my 69, i had purchased headers for it, but the driver side didnt have the clearance for it because of the steering box. They were flowtech block huggers i believe. what do you guys think would be my best bet as far as getting the best flow for my buck on this one? i was thinking about going with the corvette ram horn style manifolds but do they really flow as good as headers? is there some kind of kit to move that steering box? or should i just suck it up and pay the $500 for regular long tubes? id appreciate any advice, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Stupid question.
If they are block huggers, are your sure you have them on the right sides?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes

yea, im sure theyre on the correct sides, im not sure theyre meant for a nova specifically though, i got em a long time ago, even with the stock manifold on theres about an inch and a half between the tubes and the steering box, its just a really tight fit compared to camaros and chevelles

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
not trying to break any rules, but i have a extra set longtube headers for a smallblock that will fit your car. thay have 4 hours of runtime on them.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Those block huggers are for street rods like 32 Fords with a SBC. They are cheap because they are easy to make.
Long story short, get the right headers for your car. You should be able to buy Hedmans or equivalent for less than $200.
welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I didnt notice anywhere where you mention if the motor is a BB or a SB....if its a BB the drivers side frame mount is normally taller than the passenger side frame mount so that the motor is offset towards the passenger side giving you more clearance on the drivers side...(BB cars only)

If its a SB car my drivers side header is pretty close (about 1/4 inch) away from my manual steering box...you could dimple your header tube in that location....why shorties? Normally in third gen cars most people run full length headers...BTW is it the collector flange area of your shortie header that is really close?? If thats the case dimpling might not help...you would likely have to grind the flange down a bit to gain clearance..:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I put a set of 189.00 dynamax ceramuc full lenght on mine. I still had to dimple the tube with a ball peen hammer. But they barely fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i tried dimpling the headers in a bit, i would basically have to completely remove one of the collectors to get this thing to fit, im guessing the shorties flare out more than the long tubes, now its just a matter of what kind, thank you all for your respones!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you call Jet Hot they will sell you a new pair of hookers with their sterling coating shipped to your door for under $350.I just put a pair in my 68 with 350 edlebrock create fit great,a great tip I got from this site was wrap the headers in trash bags then install them, it keeps from scratching them.
Good luck Paul

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've used Hedman, Hooker, and custom made Davis Step Headers, and never had a fitment problem--all of mine practically fall into place! Third gen Novas are probably the easiest cars I've ever installed headers on. Try a friggin Slopar with multi-piece Hookers!! Almost an entire day spent on that junk. About half an hour to do the Nova.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I have done the 6 to BB. I got the Hooker Super Comps. I have a PS gear box, and it looks like if I put the hose on it would be very close if not touching. Was thinking about doing a manual box.

On edit; I did put BB frame mounts on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts