Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I am looking for reasonable to good quality headers for my 73 Nova. Can anyone tell me if there is a set that drop in, don't need to be dented etc. Engine is a 350. Stock heads. Automatic - 350 turbo. Front clip is stock. Power Steering. Prefer stainless, with CNC flange and 3 inch collector under the floor. Can be 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 primary.

Any and all input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Folks, I am looking for reasonable to good quality headers for my 73 Nova. Can anyone tell me if there is a set that drop in, don't need to be dented etc. Engine is a 350. Stock heads. Automatic - 350 turbo. Front clip is stock. Power Steering. Prefer stainless, with CNC flange and 3 inch collector under the floor. Can be 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 primary.

Hooker headers fit my old 73 perfectly

I scuffed them up and used VHT high temp engine paint on them... never rusted over 6 years

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is the set I bought and use in my '72. Slipped right in. Left side takes some effort to slip in but what left side doesn't?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/30051/10002/-1

I just swapped from a TH350 to a 2004r and have run into shift linkage clearance issues so I'm going to have to do some pounding on my left header. But with your setup, they'll fit with no issues. They actually come with a small pre-detent on one tube (I think it's on the right side) but I'm not even sure that one was necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,982 Posts

Are you concerned with the performance aspect of your headers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
In all the years of manufacturing headers, I am amazed that there are still issues with them fitting. Especially the older muscle cars that are virtually stock. Should only be a couple parameters for the most part. What year of Nova? Big block or small block? Automatic or standard? With the 3D auto-cad technology we have these days why are is there still a need to smash the side of something out of the box to make it fit?
Oddly decades ago when I went to the big block, those were easier to install than with the small block pair I did previously to that. Bought them second hand and they didn't even come out of a Nova. :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I am amazed that there are still issues with them fitting.
It's usually not the headers, but the car. My late friend Jack Davis built his headers on a jig. We took a pair off a friends 65(they fit great) and spent hours trying to force them into place on another early Nova. No two of these cars ever seem to be the same.
I always had great luck with Hedman products fitting very well, but have heard horror stories of people trying to make them work. Then again, it may be you just aren't cut out for this work! The headers on my Rambler were really easy to get on and off, yet my brother could not get them to go either way! He fought and cursed and screamed...I walked over and dropped it in place like nothing:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next Steps

Thanks all for the responses. Its pretty clear talking to suppliers that they say their headers will fit, but they won't guarantee it. So long and short of it is "you place your bet and you take your changes". I will do some other checks, then order a set. I will then post the result - ie manufacturer / part number.

As for some of the questions, I have after market heads with normal exhaust ports, straight plugs, cam, roller rocker / lifters, intake and 750 on a 407 SBC backed by a performance enhanced 350 turbo and top end converter. Expect it to produce 450 BHP. Will have 2 1/2 inch Flowmaster exhaust.

Not overly concerned about performance. Car is not for racing, but cruising / show and shine.

Thanks all

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Engine is a 350. Stock heads. Automatic - 350 turbo. Front clip is stock. Power Steering. Prefer stainless, with CNC flange and 3 inch collector under the floor. Can be 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 primary.
I have after market heads with normal exhaust ports, straight plugs, cam, roller rocker / lifters, intake and 750 on a 407 SBC backed by a performance enhanced 350 turbo and top end converter. Expect it to produce 450 BHP. Will have 2 1/2 inch Flowmaster exhaust.
Is there some disconnect between these two engine descriptions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes and no. 350 and 400 are both small blocks. Block and heads have the same exterior dimensions. My 407 is a 400 punched 30 over. My mistake I should have said 407 in original post, but in terms of header fitment, there is no difference I know of.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Dynatech is what I'm running in an 1 3/4"x 1 7/8" ceramic coated. I've ran the Hooker Super Comps on these 3rd gens and also the Hedman Husler. I prefer the Dynatechs then the Hedman Huslers and then the Hooker's.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Yes and no. 350 and 400 are both small blocks. Block and heads have the same exterior dimensions. My 407 is a 400 punched 30 over. My mistake I should have said 407 in original post, but in terms of header fitment, there is no difference I know of.
There are a few things that affect header fitment in the engine bay, such as the milling of the heads, especially angle milling. It's easier to fit smaller tubes into the available space.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm partial to Hookers and have always had good luck with them. Just remember that after market parts may require aftermarket modifications. :D

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
I've used nothing but the summit brand headers and had zero issues with them fitting. My first set went on my stock 350 with AC and power steering and they went on no problem and did not hit anything. I switched motors and the new motor has angle plug heads, so i got another summit brand that fit angle plug and i still have zero issues. I didn't see the need to buy a $700+ set of headers for just showing them off, when the $300 set does the same thing and still look good 5+ years later, but then again im a cheap azz :yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts