Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ive got a 72 nova i bought as a rolling chassis and im trying to put a 350 in it but im having a hard time getting the headers to come close to clearing the steering linkage. i bought these long tube headers off a guy who had a 71 nova with a small block so i assumed they would work.....but they dont seem to. since the nova has center link and idler arm behind the front crossmember under the engine, the header on the drivers side clears everything fine, but the pass side header comes down right beside the idler arm and when i try to turn right, the idler arm hits the header. do i have the wrong headers? or am i missing somethin? anyone with pictures of their headers and steering linkage that i can look at to see how yours clears would be greatly appreciated. i bought this car in a million pieces so i have no idea what isnt right. or if someone has advice or ran into this issue and knows whats wrong, please help!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
TO WHAT HE SAID, AND MAYBE YOU CAN FIND A SET THAT WILL RAISE THE MOTOR SLIGHTLY, ENOUGH TO CLEAR. :yes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have no idea if they are the correct motor mounts, i have never seen mounts like these ones, im used to working on cars from the 80's like monte carlos, cutlass, caprice. and they have all had a wide or long mount, these mounts r solid steel and are only 3.5" - 4" long and seemed to be really tall. i made 3/4" spacers to go on either side of the motor mount so the motor wont slide backwards and forwards on the mount. they also offset back a bit and the hei distributor would hit the firewall, so i swapped the mounts side to side so they would offset forward a bit allowing the distributor to clear. theres about an inch between firewall and distributor now which seems proper. but the passenger header needs to mover back approx 4" or 5" to clear the idler arm. technically it clears if i only ever want to go straight or left, but if i try to turn right at all, the idler hits the header. im concerned already that the motor will be too high to fit under hood as it is, so i cant really raise it either. i figured motor mounts were wrong so i went to napa and bought 350 mounts for that nova, but they were just as skinny and tall but the bolt pattern was different for the 3 bolts that mount to the crossmember and they were a rubber mount not solid steel

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
i have no idea if they are the correct motor mounts, i have never seen mounts like these ones, im used to working on cars from the 80's like monte carlos, cutlass, caprice. and they have all had a wide or long mount, these mounts r solid steel and are only 3.5" - 4" long and seemed to be really tall. i made 3/4" spacers to go on either side of the motor mount so the motor wont slide backwards and forwards on the mount. they also offset back a bit and the hei distributor would hit the firewall, so i swapped the mounts side to side so they would offset forward a bit allowing the distributor to clear. theres about an inch between firewall and distributor now which seems proper. but the passenger header needs to mover back approx 4" or 5" to clear the idler arm. technically it clears if i only ever want to go straight or left, but if i try to turn right at all, the idler hits the header. im concerned already that the motor will be too high to fit under hood as it is, so i cant really raise it either. i figured motor mounts were wrong so i went to napa and bought 350 mounts for that nova, but they were just as skinny and tall but the bolt pattern was different for the 3 bolts that mount to the crossmember and they were a rubber mount not solid steel
I had a virgin 72 and just found out the 72 takes a different mount than the 71 and back. I had bought the Energy Suspension mount when I was saving parts and before I put the engine in I went and measured the orginal mounts and found they were different. I tried it and they didn't even line up with the steel frame mounts. Anyways the correct rubber engine mount if you have a 72 and a pre 72 side by side will be the narrower one of the two.

The part number ending in 1122 will be correct for the 72 using the Energy Suspension poly mount as long as nobody has changed the steel frame mounts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i know its hard to explain and understand, i'll take a picture tomorrow and put it up. i think i have the wrong headers. im just confused because the guy i got them from had them on his nova and he was changing it to a big block so he was getting rid of these ones.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
I had a virgin 72 and just found out the 72 takes a different mount than the 71 and back. I had bought the Energy Suspension mount when I was saving parts and before I put the engine in I went and measured the orginal mounts and found they were different. I tried it and they didn't even line up with the steel frame mounts. Anyways the correct rubber engine mount if you have a 72 and a pre 72 side by side will be the narrower one of the two.
thanks to sbc1320 i figured out that the 72 mounts are different from the previous years :yes: here is what fits a 72 with a 350

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-1122G/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The part number ending in 1122 will be correct for the 72 using the Energy Suspension poly mount as long as nobody has changed the steel frame mounts.
so the narrow mount is for novas prior to 72? they were skinny and had 2 bolt holes at the top that are close together and one bolt hole at the bottom. they lined up with the holes in the crossmember. the ones i got from napa had the two top holes farther apart and the one on the bottom wasnt as far apart. and it didnt line up with any holes in the crossmember
is it possible someone swapped a subframe from a 70 or 71 nova?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im guessing the 72 frame mounts are different from previous years, here are the 72 ones, the link you gave were for a 71 nova, maybe thats the problem

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-4020-335-69L/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-4020-335-69R/?rtype=10
thats what im saying, the link i sent you are the mounts that came with the car, and they lined up with the 3 holes in the subframe. the link u originally sent me are the ones i bought from napa, but they didnt line up with any of the holes in the subframe, so i didnt use them

·
Registered
518 Posts
thats what im saying, the link i sent you are the mounts that came with the car, and they lined up with the 3 holes in the subframe. the link u originally sent me are the ones i bought from napa, but they didnt line up with any of the holes in the subframe, so i didnt use them
Hey Dan just post a picture tomorow Man!! I think the headers may be for a different vehicle.... But WE will Know definately tomorrow!!

MY 2nd time posting this I know, sorry!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i agree, i'll take pics tomorrow and post them up, it will be alot easier, then u can see exactly what im talking about, i dont think mounts are the problem. they may not be the correct mounts, but they work. the motor is sitting where is should.....i believe, lol

thanks for everyones knowledge and advise so far though, you learn somethin new everyday :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i found a pic on google of the issue im having but i dont know how to post the picture, i would just post the link but when u click on the link the picture wont come up

·
Registered
518 Posts
i just posted the picture in my profile, its the only picture i have, so it shouldnt be hard to find
Yeah it definately looks like you have the wrong set of headers on there...on a front steer nova you'll be ok but the rear steer Nova's, it is very tight..it amazing how everything just fits!!! the headers will need to hug the motor and clear all steering parts....But different headers and you'll be good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
so the narrow mount is for novas prior to 72? they were skinny and had 2 bolt holes at the top that are close together and one bolt hole at the bottom. they lined up with the holes in the crossmember. the ones i got from napa had the two top holes farther apart and the one on the bottom wasnt as far apart. and it didnt line up with any holes in the crossmember
is it possible someone swapped a subframe from a 70 or 71 nova?
The NARROW mounts fit the 72 only, the WIDE mounts fit 71 and back to 68. The wide mounts will go over the subframe steel mount, but the bolt holes will not line up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah it definately looks like you have the wrong set of headers on there...on a front steer nova you'll be ok but the rear steer Nova's, it is very tight..it amazing how everything just fits!!! the headers will need to hug the motor and clear all steering parts....But different headers and you'll be good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alrighty i thought they were the wrong ones but i wanted to make sure, i thought maybe whoever put the idler arm and linkage on put somethin on wrong, yet everything seemed to work good minus the headers. thanks again for your advice :yes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts