Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
I been searching and reading and all I did was confuse myself further. Im looking for header size and brand opinions based on your experience. This is my first build.

This is what I have...

1972 4-door Nova. 28 inch tires, 3.73 gears with a Trutrac unit in a 10 bolt rear end. TH350 with an FTI 3600 stall on the tighter end with a #0 impeller and 086 stator. Fully built all forged 383 stroker with 6 inch rods, AFR 195 heads, 1.6 roller rockers, and a comp full retro roller xr282hr 282/288 adv 230/236 @50 550 lift total 110 lsa 106 lca. 2500-6000 power band with a pretty flat torque curve that peaks at 4000-4200. Mostly street driven with some weekend strip for fun but nothing crazy. Not a daily driver but will be driven as often as possible. Holley sniper TBI EFI.

I will be running the Pypes 2.5 inch SGF70 with the straight through transverse muffler all the way out the back with tail pipes.

Sorry for my long post, but after all my research I'm stuck between 1 5/8, 1 3/4, or 1 7/8 long tubes with absolutely no idea on what brand.

Thank in advance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to add that these is something about the shape of AFR 195 heads exhaust port causes issues with 1 5/8 headers.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would like to add that these is something about the shape of AFR 195 heads exhaust port causes issues with 1 5/8 headers.
My choice would be 1 3/4”. I ran 1 5/8” headers on my Afr 195’s. It worked but I was never happy with the sealing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good morning all,
I been searching and reading and all I did was confuse myself further. Im looking for header size and brand opinions based on your experience. This is my first build.

This is what I have...

1972 4-door Nova. 28 inch tires, 3.73 gears with a Trutrac unit in a 10 bolt rear end. TH350 with an FTI 3600 stall on the tighter end with a #0 impeller and 086 stator. Fully built all forged 383 stroker with 6 inch rods, AFR 195 heads, 1.6 roller rockers, and a comp full retro roller xr282hr 282/288 adv 230/236 @50 550 lift total 110 lsa 106 lca. 2500-6000 power band with a pretty flat torque curve that peaks at 4000-4200. Mostly street driven with some weekend strip for fun but nothing crazy. Not a daily driver but will be driven as often as possible. Holley sniper TBI EFI.

I will be running the Pypes 2.5 inch SGF70 with the straight through transverse muffler all the way out the back with tail pipes.

Sorry for my long post, but after all my research I'm stuck between 1 5/8, 1 3/4, or 1 7/8 long tubes with absolutely no idea on what brand.

Thank in advance.
Any engine or chassis dyno data ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
AFR exhaust ports are 1.45" high and 1.55 wide. 1 5/8 headers are leaking side to side (3 o clock and 9 o clock position) Consider 1 3/4" headers with Fel Pro #1404 header gasket.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info! No chassis dyno data. The engine I had built and made by my machines is one of his many combos that he has built. Although my particular engine has not been dynoes, an exact same carbon copy has. I have that info in the body of my post.
The gasket advice is great.

what about header brand or part number. The more I search, the more I rule out makes and models due to fitment issues and other problems with these AFR 195 heads.

what are you AFR guys running.

also, i have straight plugs and power steering.

·
Registered
566 Posts
On thing you might consider if your car is lowered is ground clearance. I had purchased full-length Hooker 2451's and they turned out to too close to the ground. Not just speed bump low but driveway low.
My car is not yet on the road but I went ahead and replaced them with Hedman shorties.
I don't care for the look but they are practical and allowed me to tuck the head pipes in between the frame rails.
Many of the off the shelf headers are made to fit dozens of cars and are kind of a "universal fit". You are smart by doing your homework.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I've run 1-5/8" headers on AFR195's with no problems. Just make sure the flange is flat and seals well to the head. Or, you could get some HBE flanges and weld them on your headers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On thing you might consider if your car is lowered is ground clearance. I had purchased full-length Hooker 2451's and they turned out to too close to the ground. Not just speed bump low but driveway low.
My car is not yet on the road but I went ahead and replaced them with Hedman shorties.
I don't care for the look but they are practical and allowed me to tuck the head pipes in between the frame rails.
Many of the off the shelf headers are made to fit dozens of cars and are kind of a "universal fit". You are smart by doing your homework.
View attachment 398565 View attachment 398566
My mistake. You mentioned Headman. Where did you get the down pipeS?

·
Registered
566 Posts
PRNDL, thanks
Hedman 68656. For the head pipes I bought a pair of 2 1/2" 45 degree SS bends on eBay and welded-on the connector and ran 'em back to the X pipe.
To be honest with you these headers were in the trunk of a car that I flipped.....Hedman's price on these things is ridiculous. I would have looked for a cheaper header.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update..... I called Hedman, and they actually do make headers to specifically clear the close ratio steering gear and so on. I never found it on their site with a search. Part number 68503.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the above Hedman headers will cause issues with the factory AC suitcase.

After all my research, it seems only the Dynatech 740-11510 are the only direct bolt in with close ratio steering and factory AC. Plus they are stainless.

Anyone have experience with these? Plus they are stainless.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've run 1-5/8" headers on AFR195's with no problems. Just make sure the flange is flat and seals well to the head. Or, you could get some HBE flanges and weld them on your headers.
Nice! Thanks. Does the raised port cause any fitment issues?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice! Thanks. Does the raised port cause any fitment issues?
The raised port on the afr small chevy heads is a 10th of an inch.Fitment should not be an issue. I ran Headman 1 3/4 headers on a bracket 500hp 383 25 years ago with not a single issue. Plus Headman is made in USA. Hooker is made in Mexico if that matters to you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The raised port on the afr small chevy heads is a 10th of an inch.Fitment should not be an issue. I ran Headman 1 3/4 headers on a bracket 500hp 383 25 years ago with not a single issue. Plus Headman is made in USA. Hooker is made in Mexico if that matters to you.
it does matter! Thanks brother! Headman it is!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts