Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are you guys doing to your header bolts from backing out ?I keep blowing header gaskets,I bought these header bolts with holes in them and some thin wire to stop them from backing out but doesn't work. Was thinking of some blue or red thread locker. Also what gaskets are you guys using. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I use the fel pro blue gaskets and standard bolts
Always use these too. After a couple heat cycles retightening then a few more times over a couple of months. I always do the same with my intake as well though as it will be loose.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I do arp 12 point for bolts and just picked up some cometec graphite looking gaskets from O'Reileys. I put a 3/8 wrench in the car and every time I put heat in the engine I re tighten until they quit getting loose. Usually after a few heat cycles they don't need any attention. I may check mine every couple of months or so now but all's been good.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I use fel-pro gaskets and regular header bolts. Never had an issue with bolts backing out or getting loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are you guys doing to your header bolts from backing out ?I keep blowing header gaskets,I bought these header bolts with holes in them and some thin wire to stop them from backing out but doesn't work. Was thinking of some blue or red thread locker. Also what gaskets are you guys using. Thanks.
I use Proform wedge lock bolts on my big block with aluminum heads. They have a self locking washer design Summit Racing sells them. Have not had any issues.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I never use Loctite. Maybe anti-seize if they are gonna live in there a while. (I'm always taking mine out for some reason another so I put em in dry.) I just do what the other guys said they do but make sure to re-torque as needed after some heat cycles. I've found a few bolts will loosen up a bit on new gaskets. Once they settle in never a problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You don't need special bolts if you use good gaskets. Never use the white paper gaskets. Check the bolt tightness after the first heat cycle on new gaskets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts