Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to throw the heads from my good engine onto the junk 350. According to my ultra pecision measuring device this engine is .060 over.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Hope your junk bottom end doesn't fly upwards through your nice top end:eek: :D ! What kind of heads did you have on the big motor? Are you rebuilding the big one now?

Kev (Sometimes wishes the only measuring devices Paul Wright knew of were limited to a square:))

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Mike, you sure you didn't take a pic of my junk 350 instead of yours :eek: We used a tape measure to check clearances on the BLS 350.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I never check bores with a metal scale or square for fear of denting the block deck. I only use wooden yard sticks. Another benifit to wood is if it is too long to fit you can shorten it by busting it over your knee. And if it is cold out you can burn it for heat and light after you get the bore measured. Just a suggestion. RM

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Mike, you sure you didn't take a pic of my junk 350 instead of yours :eek: We used a tape measure to check clearances on the BLS 350.

Hey, if it's good enough for the Amish garage it's good enough for anybody.:awkward: :D

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
What I want to know is why big camshafts cost more? They should cost less because they don't have to grind as much off them. Look at the money they save on grinding wheels!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a set of standards for that precision measurement system?
I couldn't find the yardstick thru all the crap in my garage, so I had to use the square.
The heads I'm going to use are OLD AFR 210's that were ported by 2 different people before I let Tony Mamo at AFR have a whack at them.
Could be a bit of overkill on the junker--2.100/1.625 valves vs. 1.94/1.50
The intake ports are now around 220 c.c's and flow 305 cfm in./252 cfm ex.
Good thing the low lift numbers are good since the cam only has .454 lift; I guess I'll run 1.6 rockers to pick it up some. I used to have some 1.7's here somewhere, hmmmmm...............
The 64 c.c. chambers should get me from the current 8.98-1 comp. to about 10-1, so it should pick up a little power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts