Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought my 307 had a cracked water pump because it had a bad leak in that area.it didnt appear to be leaking where it meets the block or on the back plate so,i pulled it off thinking the water pump was cracked but,i cant find any cracks.i did notice a small amount of water puddled up around the cylinder head.i think it may be the head gasket on that side[passenger].it has also been running hot.what do you think it could be?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where was yours leaking?im thinking of dropping a 460 ford:eek::eek::D in the car anyway.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
right at the very top of the pump where its mating with the engine haha sorry dont know the right words but right at the top, it wasnt cracked as far as i knew but i took it off and put a new one and it stopped leaking so im guessing it was cracked

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
What do you mean puddles? On the ground? If so, it may be a couple things. First and cheapest, water pump gaskets. Maybe $2 at autozone. Second, water pumps have a weep hole for when they go bad. Same with fuel pumps. They spew out water or fuel when they go bad, although I question why they designed fuel pumps to?:no: Usually head gaskets leak coolant either into the oil or cumbustion chamber. Could also be a loose clamp somewhere. Maybe a leaky heater hose fitting... maybe a heater core leak? Problematic freeze plug?

Need more info though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it makes a huge puddle on the ground.i dont think it was leaking from the block to pump gasket.the bottom radiator hose is new and clamp is tight.all heater hoses are clamped on tight.the water pump spins over fine and doesnt sound as if a bearing went bad or something broke inside.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
it makes a huge puddle on the ground.i dont think it was leaking from the block to pump gasket.the bottom radiator hose is new and clamp is tight.all heater hoses are clamped on tight.the water pump spins over fine and doesnt sound as if a bearing went bad or something broke inside.
might be cracked then, just like mine was. i had all the hoses and stuff on nice and tight but it ended up being the pump had reached the end of its life

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Did you spin the pump by hand with the belt tension off? Try wobbling the fan it back and forth (no belts). Worn bushing leaking is a common problem.
Did you pressure check the engine? Put the radiator hand pump on and pump up the system. You'll find what's leaking real easy.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Look on the bottom of the pump on the part the impeller shaft comes out of. There should be a small hole it's often called a weep hole. When the seal in the impeller shaft goes bad it lets antifreeze into the area where the bearings are. It will let fluid out and and will make a puddle on the ground. Usually it's worse when the engine has pressure on the cooling system.

Here is a horriable picture of a water pump weep hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts