Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know if I ask if I can do something, I will get many conflicting answers so I will phrase the question this way. Have you ever reused head bolts on an in-line six. A completely stock from air cleaner to oil pan in-line six found in a 1960s Chev. Specifically a 194. I'm sure a 250 would shares the same answer but mine happens to be a 194. Let me know if you have done this and what the outcome was. I want to hear both good and bad experiences. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,933 Posts
Have you ever reused head bolts on an in-line six.

YES ----- I have re-used my head bolts on some of my Chevy sixes.

I would clean (wash) and then clean the threads on my bench grinder wire brush. When I re-install them , I use some ' never - seez ' on the threads , and torque per the book.

(both -- older Chevy 235 , and Chevy 250 's)

just my 2cents ....

jim

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
the 194 - 230 - 250 motors :

the weak area (when installing your head, back onto the block) ......

and torqueing your head - bolts ....... is ....... the front of the block, just above the ' water pump ' ------ THAT ONE HEAD BOLT.
There is not a lot of metal at that area ---
I torque my head bolts in " stages " . AND, that one area head bolt -- do NOT over torque that bolt.
The 194 - 230 - 250 motors are 'referred' to - a short deck motors , because of this area.
NOT a problem -- just don't over-torque that bolt & u'r good too go.

any motor manual book should have that picture (or google it).

jim

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41530

good info here :

also, it says to make sure to have your water-pump INSTALLED onto your motor before torquing that 'one ' front bolt.

Yes the head bolts can be re used. They are not torque to yield. I never heard about having the water pump installed first. I remember when the machine shop redid my block they mentioned that #1 cyl was egg shaped due to the water pump. He didn't say why.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts