Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly! I'm sure someone out there would pay it, its factory old stock and its not even reproduced so I get it, but wow 2400 that blew me away

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty cool to see theres still stuff like this out there though, even though its priced insane

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nobody will pay that for a '73-4, or for a '70-2 for that matter! Somebody might pay it for a '68-9, but very few....

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
that doesn't look like 73 74,no kick up on the 1/4 window

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that doesn't look like 73 74,no kick up on the 1/4 window
Awesome nova!
I didn't notice but I think you're correct, the angle of that quarter window flows back with the c pillar/ sail panel vs 73-74 it drops off much steeper.
I saw the price and my jaw dropped lol

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah our 73-74 quarter glass is a much steeper angle on the rear

·
13,706 Posts
Good eye, guys. Yes, 68-72 only, so he really 'doesn't know what he has'. :)

B.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Nobody will pay that for a '73-4, or for a '70-2 for that matter! Somebody might pay it for a '68-9, but very few....
Completely agree. It is past the cost threshold of what it would take a good body man to get a repop quarter to look right on a nice car.

·
Registered
928 Posts
for what its worth: I bought two 1967 NOS fenders for 2200 because every aftermarket fender I bought was terrible around the headlight bezels, well the NOS fenders fit perfect around the bezels and at a quick glance looked great. When it got time to really finesse the fenders and line up all the lines on the car they fit terrible, I had to rework all the body lines. Bottom line is I think these fenders were still available 50years later because they were probably rejected numerous times during that time.Its made me rethink nos sheet metal parts. Thats IMHO

·
Registered
186 Posts
for what its worth: I bought two 1967 NOS fenders for 2200 because every aftermarket fender I bought was terrible around the headlight bezels, well the NOS fenders fit perfect around the bezels and at a quick glance looked great. When it got time to really finesse the fenders and line up all the lines on the car they fit terrible, I had to rework all the body lines. Bottom line is I think these fenders were still available 50years later because they were probably rejected numerous times during that time.Its made me rethink nos sheet metal parts. Thats IMHO
Interesting take. You're probably right in some instances. Someone might have taken it out of the box, held it up to a car and decided to get another one. We know that the factory quality control sometimes left something to be desired. That may not be the case here but at this price as has been said above you can use a reproduction part and have the best body guy in your area work it for several man hours and still come out way ahead.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
I wonder if the seller got a wrong picture of the part ?. The part number tag is for a 73/74 though.
Jim
Wrong pics are pretty common on eBay, especially with sellers that have a ton of listings.

Regarding the poorly fitting NOS fenders, later run parts were often sub-par due to old worn out tooling. Emblems and other cast items can be really crappy. The body lines on these cars weren't fantastic out of the factory. The fender-to-door area can be especially troublesome

Another scenario I have had happen, is period defect returns or warranty items still in the GM box making their way back into the market. Has happened multiple times with radios and once with a speedo cluster.

The worst was used trim placed neatly back inside the GM wrappers and sold off as NOS. I have also seen repop sheetmetal pieces sold as NOS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts