Chevy Nova Forum banner

How many want HD Front Sump parts?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put a request asking for spare discarded Chevy II oil system parts on the Parts wanted section.

I'm going to prototype an improved version of the Durango Deuce oil system that addresses some of the problems with the stock front sump system.

The pan and pickup would fit a 4 bolt main block and have a 8740 heat treated, Front sump specific 5.3" steel sleeved drive shaft, the pump would be modified for improved flow and pressure. The press -in plugs would be replaced with threaded plugs.

I guess I need to see how many people would be interested in what so I can see if it makes sense to mass produce the parts.

I won't have an idea of pricing until I see if there is a big enough market.
Some parts require tooling that has to be amortized over the volume of parts built.
Obviously business 101 says the piece cost will drop as the quantity goes up.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Paul... A suggestion:

If you could make a pick-up tube that will work with the wide main caps on a 2-bolt 400 block (a'la 509 casting), it may be more versitile. I am thinking of something that can be used on 4-bolt and 2-bolt blocks that would attach to a main cap stud.

If you go this route, I'll take a tube (depending on the final design).

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a universal or adjustable design? I'll have to take a look at that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good Idea!

Paul,
I will also be interested in those parts.
And like Anders claimed I bet there are more Swedes than us two that will buy parts from you.
Matt

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That rusty pan is up to $65. What's a stock front sump pan worth anyway?
What's a repro going for?

Thanks to Wogs64SS I have a drive shaft and oil pump. Just need a pickup tube and oil pan to measure and modify.

·
Registered
33 Posts
front sump

paul i will give you a oe front sump pan and pick up tubebut i would want a good deal on the kit i am using a 92 one piece seal block and will have to buy a pan and pump for my new engine. Chevy 2 only has a kit but with std pump, i have a pump rod also and a pump but not sure if the block is the right one for the car that the pump came off of. let me know if I can help you out...
my email is [email protected] thanks Richard

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't look like the one piece seal pans are going to be real popular.
Chevy II only already has some pans available but I don't know how good they are for oil control. I was surprised at how much a stock pan, pump, drive and pickup is from C2O...about $230 for everything.
There's an "E-bay" pan out there but again don't know how good it is. Cheap and good don't always co-exist.
Aviaid can make you a custom pan but you need to provide them with a core. I think that was about $350 not including the pan core. If you provided a new core it would exceed $500. I think the complete DD oil system was around $600 for everything and the core was "free".

Cost for a real good oil system is relatively high but still cheaper than a blown engine.

The real trick is going to make improvements and get the cost down.

Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I'll will be building a new motor this summer.Let me know about the develepment of this system.I would like to be one of your first customers.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Your sig reminded me about needing to fit 400 blocks as well. The 400 has a wider spacing of the main cap bolts and the oil drive has to fit.

Here's a picture that shows some of the problems with the front sump pump.
The pressed in plugs
The rod bolt clearance (this one is a 3.25" stroke)
The long pickup tube and mounting.(not shown)

·
0 Posts
Paul I just picked up a 509 casting 400(2 bolt) and would like to use the front sump with kickouts and baffles. If you need me to take measurements or pics of anything to help I'd be more then happy to. If it makes a difference I'll be using a 350 crank and 4.3L V-8 rods, if I can find them.
Jimi

Paul I don't know if you've looked at Chevy II only or classic industries lately but it seems both have front sump oil pans with increased capacity(6 & 7 quarts). part #s are 13004 13005(c2o) and N13004 N13005(ci). I'd rather get one from you because you would put some engineering into it, and baffles. I just wanted to let you and everyone else know what was out there.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a couple of 400 blocks (both 2 and 4 bolt) plus few small and medium journal 2 piece seal blocks. I don't plan on making a 1 pc seal pan at this time.
All I need is a stock Chevy II pan core and pickup tube for design reference. Wogs64SS already sent me a pump and drive shaft (thanks!)

What I plan to make should be better than anything currently on the market.
The custom Aviaid pan we used on the Durango Deuce wasn't bad but there were some reports of oil pressure drops on real hard cornering.

I expect if the new pan can handle the La Carrera it can handle any G's a street strip car would throw at it.

The one caveat would be if it's a real quick 1/4 mile car, the rear sump design would be preferred.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Paul,

I'll send you a pan and a pickup. I bought one used here a year or so ago, and traded a windshield wiper pump for the pickup tube. I was holding off thinking I was gonna pick up a 327 soon and get going on putting the car together, but that's not gonna happen. The stuff has been sitting and will continue to sit until my boys are old enough to help me in the garage. I'm looking at a few years before that happens. I'd rather see it go to good use. I'll pick up another one when the time comes. Or I'll save my pennies for your kit.

Send me a PM or an email with a ship to address and I'll try to get it out to you next week sometime.

Chris-NH

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Chris! I sent you a PM with my address. I owe you and Wogs64ss a favor!

·
Registered
43 Posts
No problem Paul.

I got your message, but I can't remember if I sent you one back. I have the pan and pickup with me today, and I'll ship it out to you as soon as I can. I've got to go hunt around for a box...

I never responded to the poll, which I suppose I should do, but I am interested in a kit. Someday...

I'll let you know when I send it out.

Chris-NH

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I received the stock pan and pick up from Chris-NH yesterday. Thanks Chris. (Let me know shipping charges and I'll re-imburse you.)

Now I can start building the prototype. Production may be an issue because of the high cost of new pan cores. I may look at using cheaper stock rear sump pans just for the rails and everything else is fabbed....

I'll post pictures of the progress here.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
PM me when the drive shafts are ready. I have your relief spring from GM ready to go in. The welsh plug should be tapped and fitted?
Also, you will need to include very cool Wright Stuff decals.

.....Put the Wright Stuff in your bottom end.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts